Is it safe to use rechargeable batteries on camera and flash?

from earthy

Is it really safe to use rechargeable batteries particularly on

canon 420EX and ELan7E I heard some photographers here in my place

dont use rechargebale batteries they only use Energizer Alkaline

batteries. If it safe what kind of rechargeable batteries shud i

get ? can you suggest that will not harm my equipments Nimh? Nicad?

etc.

Thanks!

Happy Shooting!

They'll work & not damage your equipment - however the performance is likely to be poor compared to comparable alkaline and lithium batteries. Nimh and especially the older Nicad rechargeable technologies start off fine but decline rapidly - not giving the same level of power over the charge of the battery and fade fast. Alkaline and lithium batteries provide the same consistent amount of power just until they die-out - and they last much longer as well. The newer lithium-ion rechargebles offer much better performance than the older Nimh or NiCad batteries. Of course the differences in performance depend on the demands of the application. Test a set of each out under similar conditions.

The BP-300 instructions say not to use AA lithium batteries in the battery pack, as they can damage the camera (this does not apply to using lithium 123 batteries in the body itself - that would be fine).<p><a href="http://eosdoc.com/manuals.asp?q=FR6">Click here for some more info on lithium batteries in the BP-300.</a><p>Since I was never sure about which lithium AA batteries were okay to use, and which ones were dangerous, I stuck with NiMH rechargeables.<p>I used NiMH rechargeables in both an Elan 7 and a 420EX and never had a complaint about them. For me, they seemed to last forever between charging, but I'll admit that when they die, they die FAST.

My experience is, rechargable NiMH AA batteries work great in a flash. They will recycle your flash in just a little over half the time alkaline batteries take. The alkalines start out fairly good (but not as fast as the NiMHs), but very quickly decline to being very slow. They keep woring for a long time, but take forever to recycle the flash after about 50 shots. The NiMH batteries start out very fast (3 second recycles at full power with a 420EX), decline slightly after a few pops (4 seconds) and hold that until they die (about 200 pops later). Two sets of NiMHs get me through a whole wedding with power to spare in a 550EX. They do loose a lot of power (self discharge) if you just have them sitting around for a few weeks though. That's the one area the alkalines are better at.

BTW, high power NIMHs (1800 mAhr or higher) don's recycle the flash any faster than lower powered ones, but they sure last a lot longer.

NiCads are similar to NiMHs, but typically have a lower mAhr rating and don't last as long.

Lithium (non-rechargable type) last 2-3 times longer than alkalines, recycle the flash faster than alkalines but slower than NiMHs, hold their speed well, don't self dicharge, but cost a fortune in the long run. If you only use your flash occasionally, the lithiums are better because they are always ready. Otherwise, get NiMHs for flash.

For powering a camera body, this might be different, since it is not a high drain use. Alkalines typically do a lot better in those conditions. NiMH's should still work well, but you would probably have to recharge them even if you did not use your camera for a couple of weeks.

NiMH rechargeable batteries DO NOT suffer degraded performance as they are used. The discharge curve for NiMH batteries is flatter than NiCds, Lithium AAs, and alkalines, and that's why they are ideal in electronic flash units. They also are less susceptible to the memory effect of NiCd batteries. The only negative aspect of them is that they self-discharge more rapidly than NiCds.

Newest NiMH rechargeable batteries are now available in capacities of 2,000 mah and greater. However, they do need a charger specifically designed to charge them safely and effectively.

As for your camera, If you have the battery pack, I would stick to alkaline AAs; (or lithium AAs only if Canon says it is OK, since they have a very high initial voltage which can damage electronics if the proper regulating circuit is not built into the camera or battery pack to handle it.)

Earth Man...I hope you are enjoying your new camera. I also shoot with a 7e, 420, 28-135IS. I use high capacity NiMH batteries in all my cameras and flashes...no problem. I use Lithiums in my 420 <i>ONLY</i> never in my T90's or my elans.<p>If you're interested in learning about batteries go here;<P>http://tinyurl.com/s85v<p>or here<p>http://tinyurl.com/s85z

• 2 months later...