Is it safe to buy a 5d2 yet?

ben_cops

<p>I frantically followed news of the 5d2 before release and then didn't buy one. Then there was a load of problems with it and I took my eye off it.</p>

<p>Now its real, been around a while, had some firmware updates, and the price gouging is over, is it safe to buy one?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Ben</p>

<p>Just the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I'm referring to;<br>

- Black spot issue - I did hear a firmware update but I also heard it wasn't that effective. But then I read it on forums and likesay, had taken my eye off it a bit<br>

- Mirror coming unstuck?<br>

If that's all sorted, and its as well loved as I always hoped it was, I can buy without worry!</p>

<p>Ben,</p>

<p>Even with those two problems, it was still safe to buy the camera from the day it was

released.</p>

<p>The black spot problem only showed up on contrast borders at high ISO on portions of fully-saturated (“blown”) pixel areas. The spots were so small that only pixel peepers would

ever notice them. In theory, they might be visible on a 24″ × 36″ print, but

vanishingly few people make prints that size in the first place, and those who do avoid high ISO in

general, and would also avoid blowing exposure like that.</p>

<p>I’m not suggesting the problem didn’t exist or that Canon shouldn’t have

bothered fixing it; just that you wouldn’t have needed to take off your shoes to count the

number of people who potentially were adversely affected by it in the real world before Canon made

the fix available.</p>

<p>And for the mirror problem? Again, not many people affected, and those who were got the

camera fixed promptly without charge.</p>

<p>Indeed, the mere fact that supplies couldn’t keep up with demand (leading to perpetual shortages, waiting lists,

and inflated prices) should be enough to let you know that this is one of the most popular cameras

ever made. It might even be <em>the</em> most popular over-$1,000 camera ever made, and for

good reason. I can assure you, it is an amazing tool, like no other ever made.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Agreed, the only "problem" was the black dot issue and that was sorted within a fortnight. If you need full frame, there simply isn't a better value camera on the market at the moment. The AF was a slight letdown but other than that it is a killer camera.</p>

<p>If you can live without full frame, the 7D is equal or even better in almost all other aspects including price.</p>

<p>The "black dot" problem was resolved early on with a firmware update and we haven't heard a peep about it since the beginning of 2009. The "mirror coming off" issue was with the older 5D, not the 5D2.</p>

<p>I have shot well over 10,000 frames on mine and it has performed beautifully. If anything happened to it I would replace it with another without hesitation.</p>

<p>I had the same question before buying one 2 months ago. Now I feel it's a "Should Have" for any pro's who own canon L lens. When I posted a question asking about the 5D2 there was too many responses from both the ends. I needed a full frame and was not in a shape to afford 1Ds though loved to have one in my gear. I did couple of parties and a concert I love the results. I've not explored the full potential of the camera yet.. still trying to catch up.. There are certain technical limitations.. But that'll not compromise on the quality of the outcome. The product is there for you for the price you offer. Buy one & nJoy..</p>

<p>There was NOT a load of problems with the 5DII. </p>

<p>I took a chance (?) and pre-ordered a month or 6 weeks in advance of delivery in the US. Got mine within a day or two after the first batch arrived in the US. It's true, some pixel peepers got all upset about little black dots in blown-out pinpoint highlights. So what? Nobody died. There's been a lot of complaining about the focus system. Fair enough. Canon could have put a better system in the camera. But it meets my needs perfectly well and it's never let me down. I've been taking wonderfully satisfying pictures with it for over a year now.</p>

<p>So, in answer to your question, no. It isn't safe to buy a 5DII. Because if you get crummy pictures, you won't be able to blame the camera.</p>

<p>Joe</p>

<p>What I want to know is, if I buy a Nikon D300 will that annoying jerk show up everywhere I go? Will I be forced to watch the ads on Faux News? Will Glen Beck be a member of my local Nikon Users Group?</p>

<p>Those are the issues that we <em>should</em> be worrying about.</p>

<p>:P<</p>

<p>Frankly, there is not a specific, but a general principle here: Never buy version 'point zero' of ANYthing.</p>

<p>This is Gates's Admonition otherwise known as the Microsoft Law.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>known as the Microsoft Law.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Especially among those who have never supported Apple products with their endless stream of never resolved problems, crypto-updates and official denials of any issues. And so it goes...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Never buy version 'point zero' of ANYthing</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You of course are entitled to your opinion but I beg to differ: I buy tools I need regardless whether it is one-oh or version ten. Now, if you merely want something (as opposed to needing it) then waiting is an option. 5D2 "version one-oh" was a very fine camera from the onset with a few issues taken care of by Canon with the speed of light. Those who waited simply didn't take many an amazing picture while dwelling on nonexisting issues.</p>

<p><em>JDM whatever: "What I want to know is, if I buy a Nikon D300 will that annoying jerk show up everywhere I go? Will I be forced to watch the ads on Faux News? Will Glen Beck be a member of my local Nikon Users Group?</em><br>

<em>Those are the issues that we should be worrying about."</em><br>

<br />What does that have to do with Canon EOS? Ever heard of the Off Topic forum? I doubt it.</p>

<p><em>Ken whatever: "What does that have to do with Canon EOS? Ever heard of the Off Topic forum? I doubt it."</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Hmm, that's a bit harsh on JDM von Weinberg (notice the correct spelling). There's no need for this sort of treatment to a forum regular in my opinion.</p>

<p><em>Michael Liczbanski: "Those who waited simply didn't take many an amazing picture while dwelling on nonexisting issues."</em><br>

<em></em><br>

So you need a 5D2 to take amazing pictures? Phew, that's a relief. I'm glad I bought one. Sarcasm intended ;-)</p>

<p><em>"Hmm, that's a bit harsh on JDM von Weinberg (notice the correct spelling). There's no need for this sort of treatment to a forum regular in my opinion.</em>"</p>

<p>Yeah, you're right. It ought to be OK then to talk about Nikon here in a Canon-only thread and politics here in a forum where such is banned (for OBVIOUS reasons). [agreed though the premise of the OP is highly flawed so it's hard not to be sarcastic]<br>

Whatever.</p>

<p>Glad to hear my concerns are put to rest all! Sorry if I ignited any brand loyalty or camera loyalty issues... wasn't my intention to but last I'd checked there were "issues" (always thought they were unfounded<br />) and I thought this forum was the place to knock them on the head.<br>

ALL I wanted to hear was "yes, we love our 5d2" and I've heard it so thanks...</p>

<p>ben</p>

<p> </p>