Is it possible to print TIFF files

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by hjoseph7, Aug 7, 2007.

1. I was just speaking to a friend of mine who I did some work for recently. I edited some pictures for him and saved them as TIFF files so the picture would not degrade. Now he wants me to convert them back to JPEG, because he said nobody would print them. I'm not sure, but I dont think I ever had any problems printing TIFFs from home ?

2. He's a bit nuts. Anyone who knows what they are doing can print from a Tiff.

3. Yes, it is possible to print Tiff files althought most people prefer the smaller size of JPEG. Tiff files wil give better results due to the Lossless nature of the file, but the sizes of large files can be detrimental to sending them to most e-mail accounts. There might be some places that will not be able to read Tiffs (Costco and some other large retail printers in my experience), but a commercial lab should have no problems due to the multitude of imaging programs they'll have.

4. Maybe he was refering to a minilab saying *nobody wants to pritn them*? Many lab dont want to plug a computer to there station or they are just too lazy...seem easier for them to send JPEG. So your friend is right in a way. But any where in the world people can print TIFF no problem.

5. Just give him a jpeg conversion with quality around 8~9, and retain the tiff. The jpeg is *much* more portable. I think the main reason someone would not want to deal with tiff is the size. There are also some compatiblility issues: earlier versions of ACDSee had problems with tiffs, for one. Speaking of which, ACDSee, IrfanView or similar are handy for doing the file format conversions quick.

6. I think he deals with Cosco allot.

7. unless you're printing a bus stop banner , printing TIFs is a waste of space. Save you finals as lowest compression JPGs and I dare you to spot a difference in prints.

8. Very few, if any, professional labs will touch jpgs, TIFF is the standard for printing quality images. An example of file requirements from a San Francisco professional lab:
    File Requirements:
    All files must be flattened 8-bit RGB TIFF files
    All files must have alpha channels removed
    Individual file size limit is 495 MB
    If you can't spot the difference between a jpg and tiff print then I suggest you don't ever apply for the job of art director!

9. William, can YOU spot any difference and are you an art director? I certainly can't spot any difference between a highest quality JPG and TIF output from a properly processed/exposed RAW file in DPP 3.0, ceteris paribus. I doubt anyone else will. Anything else is CYA

10. I dont no much people that can spot a print from a JPEG quality 12 vs TIF....Any arrogant (pro or not) lab certainly cant spot the difference either.

11. I think the difference is quite obvious. I think jpegs are only useful for web display.

12. quite obvious? Shoot RAW, developed your image the best you can. svae 2 copy from it. Save as JPEG quality 12, print it. Save as TIF, print it. It will be probably (i should say certainly) impossible to know for sure whos the JPEG vs TIF. A quality 12 JPEG is almost identical as a TIF when printed. Saying that JPEG is only usefull for web display show a lack of experience in print (dont want to be rude...sorry if it sound like it) Rmember that all JPEG are not created equal, there is web quality and print quality, and many flavor in between.

13. IF you export a Tiff and a JPEG from a Raw and print them both, they should look identical. The issue with JPEG is data loss each time you alter the numbers and resave. Since the original is Raw and you're rendering virgin pixels into a Tiff then JPEG, the practical results should be identical although the bit depth and color space can play a role! You can't save a high bit JPEG, only 8-bit. NOT good if you're working with a wide gamut space. If you edit the JPEG, all bets are off. You're introducing data loss. The bigger the edits, the more often you save the same JPEG, the more the data loss. Not so with TIFF. There IS data loss due to the edit. You can't alter numeric values in a pixel based file without rounding errors and thus data loss. But the loss is less with TIFF due to the format when saving those initial edits. And you can save a high bit TIFF so the rounding errors are moot (you'll never see them on output because you have more levels to start with and only need to send the best 8-bits of data to the output device). You have to email an image to someone or use the web, use JPEG. If not, use TIFF.

14. "...The issue with JPEG is data loss each time you alter the numbers and resave..." Childish. For print purposes it should'n't matter whether you receive a JPG or TIF. If you want to edit the JPG, then save it as a TIF and the print the darn TIF. Queite simple, really. The whole JPG/TIF question is a non-issue boondoggle.

15. Ronaldo, ever occur to you that some people might need information? that is friend maybe dont have acces or dont have the knowlegde to do it? for the rest, im sure that Harry got is answer now.