Is it possible to make a Graflok back, for a homemade camera that also takes sheet holders?

bobpeters

Is it possible to make a Graflok back, for a homemade 2x3 camera that also takes sheet holders, and has a ground glass? I know that it's just two sliders, one at the top and one a the bottom, but I also want to be able to use 2x3 sheet film Holders. I think I can pop a piece of Ground glass into a Film Pack adapter, but that won't help me with keeping the holders in place.

I want to make a sliding Box camera for my Koni-Omega 58mm lens out of wood with a metal inner sleeve for focusing, attached to a sliding back, with the front fixed. I'm going to make it dedicated to that lens, so I can make some sort of cable release/shutter release for the stock body shutter release lever on the Koni-Omega Shutter, as it gets pushed down to release it. I plan on doing something similar for wide 4x5s, with the lenses on removable flat lensboards, but I have a Toyo Field 45A revolving back for that, and know how it installs, on the back of the camera.

Edited by bobpeters

With the right tools and materials it's possible to make anything. However, I don't think you're going to find a ready-made Graflok or universal back rollfilm holder smaller than in 5x4 size.

A custom made rollfilm holder is possible, but surely you'd have to extend the back of your 2x3 camera ridiculously to take a standard Graflok fitment?

The slide-rail type filmholder, as used in Quarter plate and smaller cameras, doesn't leave a lot of room for a bulkier roll film adapter. Maybe you could bolt a cut-down 5x4 rollfilm adapter directly onto the camera?

Whatever you do is going to make the camera quite bulky I suspect.

What's wrong with just buying a Koni-Omega body? They're the same as a Mamiya Press/Universal I believe.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Use the FPA for focusing/composing, use strong rubber bands to hold sheet film holders or roll film holders in place. Or find a 2x3 mug shot camera that has a proper Graflok with spring-loaded focusing panel and all and use its back. Or just use your Pressman C with an insertion type roll holder.

RJ, I b'lieve the OP has a 2x3 (6x9 in metric) fixation. Koni-Omegas are 6x7 cameras. Mamiya Press cameras are natively 2x3 but roll holders for smaller formats that fit them are available.

K-Os and Mamiya Press are very different cameras with quite different mounts for lenses and roll holders. Scamper over to butkus.org, download the manuals and educate yourself about them.

By most definitions they and the OP's proposed home made camera are all medium format.

Use the FPA for focusing/composing, use strong rubber bands to hold sheet film holders or roll film holders in place. Or find a 2x3 mug shot camera that has a proper Graflok with spring-loaded focusing panel and all and use its back. Or just use your Pressman C with an insertion type roll holder.

RJ, I b'lieve the OP has a 2x3 (6x9 in metric) fixation. Koni-Omegas are 6x7 cameras. Mamiya Press cameras are natively 2x3 but roll holders for smaller formats that fit them are available.

K-Os and Mamiya Press are very different cameras with quite different mounts for lenses and roll holders. Scamper over to butkus.org, download the manuals and educate yourself about them.

By most definitions they and the OP's proposed home made camera are all medium format.

I hadn't thought about rubber bands. Would two Wingnuts on carriage bolts, with either large washers, or a piece of wood connecting them, work as well? I know that the key graflok parts are two pieces of that slide and hold the holder in. I'm doing this, as I can have a front big enough for the Koni Omega shutter, and a release linkage, and for easier setup, as I can keep the lens on it.

"Scamper over to butkus.org, download the manuals and educate yourself about them."

That would be a complete waste of time, since I have no intention of owning a Koni Omega. A Mamiya universal maybe - after I've completed the required weight training course.

My point, which you seem to have missed completely, is that the two systems have only interchangeable lenses, rangefinders, and 120 film in common. Weight, too, since you mentioned it.

since I have no intention of owning a Koni Omega

Too bad. Sad.

There were 2x3 "baby" Graphics (LINK). I have never used one, but I suspect that film adapters were made for them just as they were for the 4x5 Graphics.

Here's one in use in the The Thing (from another world) (1951)

scotty-3.jpg.0c065a8118f97d15585b3c4269674b1f.jpg

there may be some information at LINK, I haven't time to search it for you.

JDM, Graflex Inc. and successors made roll holders to fit 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 Graflok backs. The standard Graflok back (not all international backs) accepts these roll holders, also sheet film holders, Grafmatic sheet film holders and insertion type (sized for the camera, of course) roll holders.

The OP has a 2x3 Busch Pressman with a spring back. He's a bit slow, doesn't seem to understand that lenses in K-O mount have to be reshuttered to be usable on other cameras.