Is it possible for camera to damage lens VR?

burchanda

I have been happy user of Nikon camera's and lenses and had never had any problems. In June 2018 I purchased D750 as a back up camera for D800. At first I was happy with the camera then 50mm D lens was not recognised showing fEE error. Then build in flash would not fire after first image for about 15 seconds.Even disabling the flash and using commander mode to trigger external flash it would not fire after several images were taken and charge lights were displayed. Then my main lens 24-120 f/4 stopped working VR.

VR is not working in D800 as well but 50mm lens is working fine. So something is wrong with my new D750

I took the camera and lenses to Nikon service. I was told D750 is faulty and will be fixed under warranty. Their 50mm sampe also did not work. 24-120 f/4 lens VR is faulty and needs to be repaired. I tried to blame the camera having caused some electric surge damaging the lens but service man did not agree so I will have to pay.

Is it possible that I am correct? Should I insist on free repair?

Maybe it was the other way round?

Perhaps the lens was drawing too much current and damaged the camera?

Did the slow flash recycle happen only when the 24-120 lens was on the camera? Because that would tend to indicate the lens drawing too much current from the camera. You can't 'push' more current into a working device than it normally takes. Not without grossly increasing the voltage, which seems unlikely.

Without knowing the inner workings of Nikon's VR circuitry, it's impossible to say what was likely to be at fault first. But be careful you don't stir up a hornet's nest with Nikon's service department.

I take it the lens with faulty VR is out of warranty?

Edited by rodeo_joe|1