nate_mertz

Is it just me or does nikon make much better manual focus stuff than

auto focus. To tell you the truth I like the Eos Auto Focus stuff

more than the Nikon auto focus stuff. I like nikon manual focus more

than eos. Are there any of you guys that feel the same way? Do any

of you guys ever get sick and tired of hearing how good eos is and

then hearing all these nikon users say how if they had to do it over

again they would choose canon? I sure do. But do any of you feel

that way? Just something that has been bothering me lately.

I think both Nikon and Canon are best. I feel the same way you do all the time, but then often don't. Nikon can be better for lenses but so can Canon. And AF? Both are better than the other. Always have been. <p>And we all know that both Nikon and Canon were never as good as they used to be.

I have several Nikon zooms (none broken.)

I also have one Canon EOS zoom that went to a dealer for a possible trade-in and the lens came back the AF not working (it remains broken.)

Gosh, which one would I like better as a manual-focus lens....?

I agree with you Scott I get SSSSSSOOOOOOO sick and tired of always hearing how good leica is. I am not going to pay 2500+ for a body and then have to pay for these extemely expensive lenses. If you are that anal about quality get a mamiya 6 or 7 or even a 4x5 camera.

Nice picture, Henk. <P>

Nate, if you have an eye for it, you can make great pictures with anything. Anything that holds film (or a digital sensor) and has an aperture. People obsess about brand because they enjoy obsessing about it - who cares? Just pick out what you think looks/feels right, and use it. And you and your work will be just fine. That's what I think, anyway.

in school we recently made pinhole photos. I took a lot of care into making mine and the result was great! The photos were almost as good as the ones produced with my nikon. I made one with a really wide lens. My point is: great results can be created with just about any camera. With that said I plan on getting a 4x5 asap. :)

Pinhole cameras are fun, aren't they? Some people use <I>only</I> pinhole cameras. Or only toy cameras. Or only ancient Brownies.<P>

When I was in college (Ohio University - which, for your own reference, has a strong photography program), some years ago, we weren't allowed to shoot with our SLRs at first; instead, we had to begin with a Brownie box camera. At first I hated the idea. But by the time we were finally allowed to use the modern cameras, I didn't want to give the Brownie up.<P>

If you haven't already, I encourage you to get your hands on a magazine called <U>Shots</U> - I'm pretty sure you can find it at Borders, though you might have to haunt the racks for a few weeks (it'll be with the other photo mags, of course). It's printed in black & white, on newsprint-like paper. Once a year they devote an entire issue to work made with toy cameras.<P>

I'd like to get into medium format myself, someday. I'll probably start with the old Russian gear, or something like that - really cheap and fun.

Doug,

If you Do get into MF, don't start with Russian Junk (The Kievs are not junk when quality screened, but they aren't that cheap either if you pay for the crappy ones to be culled out, and the remainder to be adjusted to fully operational condition).

The ideal MF starters are either a used TLR, such as an older Minolta Autocord, or Yashica MAT (These go for around $100 on ebay in fully functional shape). Or else, a Koni Omega Rapid Rangefinder. Full systems can be gotten in completely working order for under $200, and in many ways, that camera is as capable as a Pentax 67 or Mamiya 7 system.

Surely if you use lenses professionally, you´ll pay a lot of money for keeping your lenses in a good working condition, year after year after year no matter if they are Nikon MF, AF, Canon FD or EOS... personally I sometimes FEAR that some of the Leica lenses may be DIRT CHEAP if one does a calculation about a period of ten years of hard use... they still use ground aspherical elements sometimes which should really last a long time, the mechanics are surely the best... all these wonderful plastic DO and aspherical elements in modern lenses, how long will they last? How long will your wonderful Canon 400/4 DO you just paid thousands of dollars for be in a usable condition? For a hardworking pro, that´s not so important (you´ll have made your money anyway)but at least some of those Leica bashing amateurs may spent a thought on it and then dream on their, you name it, anal dreams.