Is it bad to store cameras/lighting gear in the Garage? Moisture, heat, cold?

I'm trying to figure out a place to store my photo equipment and right now the garage is looking like the best

option. I'd like to weld an enclosure that I could roll a cart full of gear into, and lock it up. I live in

Sacramento, so it gets up to 113 degrees outside in the extremes of summer (but this is rare) and below freezing

at night in winter. The garage is not insulated. I'd be storing profoto lights in plastic bins, stands, tripod,

and maybe a 5d camera system with lenses. So will I have issues with moisture or extreme temperatures? I don't

know what type of toll this could take on equipment. The camera would be in a camera bag of course. And I could

insulate the metal enclosure I want to build if necessary.

I'll be using the equipment out there, so it's convenient, but mostly I just can't think of a secure place inside

of the house to store it. And it will be good because I can load the equipment into my truck in the garage.

NOT a very good idea. Best keep them in the house where the temperature is constant. You could leave the light stands and tripod in the

garage. Now if you build yourself a storage room that is climate controlled in the garage you will be okay, other than that don't put any

cameras, lenses or electronic equipment unless to wish to replace them.

Good luck.

Hi

it really depends on the conditions where you live, where I live fungus is a real problem.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search?q=fungus

my solution is to have a cabinet which has a element which removes the humidity using a peltier device to condense the water vapour and then dirbble it out. I've also had success with a well sealed largish (like 15) plastic container and a tub of the non-perfumed "cupboard camel" stuff which is essentially calcium hydroxide. But the latter only works if the container is not opened frequently (like when I'm a way for 6 months).

HTH

I'm pretty sure that you guess the answer. It's one of those things where if you have to ask, don't do it.

Just to be absolutely clear, it IS bad to store cameras, lenses, and such like stuff in the garage, even in California, heck, I once spent a summer in Sacramento, so especially in Sacramento.

Variable conditions are usually bad for anything. You want a stable, dry environment for camera gear.

No brainer: Yes, it is bad. Camera gear should be stored in cool to warm, dry conditions, and exposed to a certain amount

of light whenever possible, and preferably where dust is also minimized.

The enemies of any photographic gear are dust, moisture, fungus ...

Godfrey

Cameras and optics may not be well off if kept in the garage although it's likely to always be in the non-operating spec'd conditions. I'd keep things away from south or west walls. If it's too humid and you keep stuff too cool, you will have condensation problems when you return the cooler gear to the garage to use it. I'd think cameras and lenses might still be better off inside the house for storage but pretty much everything else could be in the garage. If you are outside with the gear using it, you'll likely be in worse conditions than the garage presents.

Wow, thats very surprising to me. I know several photographers who've stored their gear in sheds, garages and warehouses. There shouldn't be any quick temperature changes where I'll put it. The enclosure I'd like to build will be against the house, inside of the garage, and will be insulated. Our house doesn't have air conditioning, and the heaters suck, so the temperature extremes aren't that far off from what they'd be in the garage. What about those little silica packets? Can I just toss a few of those in each bag?

It wouldn't be difficult for me to find a secure place in the house for the camera and lenses, but there's just no room for all the studio lighting gear.

Another think I could do is install a vent between the insulated enclosure and the house, allowing air to pass between the two. And all the gear will of course be stored off the ground in the enclosure. I could create a false floor with a sheet of insulation foam in it to keep the cold from the concrete floor from effecting it so much.

Thanks for all the warnings, and the last post with a little optimism.