Is it a good idea to ship cameras via sea freight?

<p>I shipped a bunch of lenses from Australia to Poland via sea. I put each lens in a plastic bag with silica-gel packets and then packed the lenses into one of <a href="http://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/index.php/pv/products/photo-video/list-1-2-33.html">these</a>. It was then packed in a standard shipping box amongst clothes and other soft items. They arrived in perfect condition.<br>

However you can never predict every eventuality so check out shipping insurance.<br>

Laurie</p>

Get a fast freight estimate from DHL and determine what air freight and insurance costs will be. It may be not as bad as you might imagine. Maybe you can have sea baggage accompany you via cruise ship or steamer even. No, my camera gear does not go by sea freight. My digestion does not allow. Advice is just advice and we are all different and have different evaluations on photo gear.

I once got a small electronic piano on a transpacific flight with me from Osaka and it was handled well enough..a really..big Yamaha as excess baggage.

Talk to freight forwarders and ask them for more insight on shipping modalities, ..If this is a company sponsored move, they may well pay for an air shipment of your optical instruments as household goods, arguably, so check on that too. Aloha and happy voyage.

<p>I used the US Postal Service to ship a bunch of stuff to my son in Japan this past year. It took about 2 weeks to arrive, but the price was reasonable and it was all insured. So long as you pack it well in a sturdy box I think the postal service would be a reasonable choice. </p>