is hdr still used for high end real estate photos

I have to photograph a $500,000/3500 square ft

home that will be going on the market soon..

Is hdr still used for this kind of work?

I was figuring to use 28mm dirty most of the

scenic and other lenses for details.

Just seeing if I should do some high end hdr for

the presentation... Or speedlight...

If you use hdr, how many images do you stack?

<p>This is a little tricky because in my location, $500,000 is below the selling price of a good studio condo. A 3500 square foot home will be into the millions. However...to me, it's the price they are willing to pay for the photos that determines what I use. If it's less than $500, it's not worth hauling and positioning light. HDR is quick and easy. Over that, I would think about lighting but not with a single speedlight. I shoot with a 17-40 zoom on full frame for everything. 28mm is nowhere near wide enough for most bathrooms, and many other spaces in the typical house.</p>

<p>Well if you have plenty of time and can do it with the lights, then it's worth doing. If not, HDR is easy and can give excellent results, "excellent" in this case meaning that it matches the expectations of buyers when looking at photos. It's especially useful if there is furniture as it isn't easy to light under the furniture but prospective buyers often want to see what the floors look like and HDR can give a little more light on it. I use HDR Efex Pro 2 and typically use three shots at -1, 0, and +1.</p>

Take a look at mls listings for what people in your area are doing. In mine (eastern Massachusetts) I'm seeing HDR used

on a majority of listings of places that aren't dumps, and frankly a lot of the time it looks downright weird. If you do HDR,

keep it subtle!

<p>I don't find what is in the real estate listings here is weird, but as I said above, it's about "expectations." If people are used to a certain look in listings, and understand how that translates into what they see when they walk through the property, that's what should be done. What photographers think is "weird" or not is irrelevant.</p>

<p>When you wrote, "is hdr <em><strong>still</strong> </em>used for high end real estate photos," the word <em><strong>still</strong> </em>implies it once was. In my experience that is not the case. YMMV</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video