Is gallery page down?

Discussion in 'Photo.net Site Help' started by Sanford, Sep 3, 2021.

1. isa

isa

I have problems...all links from social to the original are 410 or 404. - It's also impossible inside Pn open the photo clikking on th title, i mean in larger format.-

2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

There are currently problems unlikely to be fixed on a Holiday week end. Sorry for the inconvenience, I'd suggest waiting to see what Tuesday brings. Unfortunately I have no method available to alter the situation.

3. isa

isa

Ok. Thankyou for your time...i hope all will be resolved asap.-

4. WJT

WJT Moderator

Interestingly, at least to me, I have always been able to google search my last name and the first hit returned was my account here at PhotoNet. Not any more. In fact, this site does not even show in that search. I think this is called "death by a thousand cuts". Regards.

5. We are like the Cargo Cult, convinced something wonderful is about to happen when there is zero chance of it happening.

6. We? I’ve known nothing wonderful was about to happen here for years. Nothing wonderful regarding the ownership and administration of the site, that is. Anything wonderful comes from fellow members and that still happens.

Sanford likes this.
  7. isa

isa

From one week , perphaps less days, the situation is the same. 404 and 410...problems growing...

8. brf

brf

Sandy- as a "staff member" what are your responsibilities? Are you able to contact whoever is in charge of keeping the site running? Have you heard anything about the 404 problem? Who is responsible for this anyway??
    Thanks

9. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Staff Members are unpaid Volunteers, as are Moderators, holdovers from previous ownership. I have not had a point of contact with present owners since the close of '20 when the Tech I was able to reach either left or was dismissed. If I was able to do something, I certainly wouldn't be sitting on my hands.

10. Wikipedia:
    In 1993, Greenspun founded photo.net, an online community for people helping each other to improve their photographic skills. He seeded the community with "Travels with Samantha",[3] a photo-illustrated account of a trip from Boston to Alaska and back. Photo.net became a business in 2000 with the help of some of his cofounders Rajeev Surati and Waikit Lau. Having grown to 600,000 registered users, it was acquired by NameMedia in 2007 for $6 million, according to documents filed in connection with a planned public offering of NameMedia shares

11. In "Photo Critiques" some photos are receiving views, admires and comments? So some folks must be able to access the photos, what is the secret.

12. Hmmm. Public offering. I think I’ll hold off on investing. :eek:

13. Because nothing is serious at PN.

14. WJT

WJT Moderator

Well, it looks as though Doc Greenspun's noble experiment is finally coming to an end.

15. If, per Wikipedia, NameMedia now owns PN, here is the contact information for NameMedia courtesy of Bloomberg

LINK NameMedia Inc - Company Profile and News - Bloomberg Markets

IT does list a phone number, street address and the name of the Chief Technology Officer as well as the CFO. but interestingly, not the CEO.

16. And you can buy the domain namemedia.com.

17. brf

brf

The site is back - thanks to whoever got it done- how weird there is no one to contact when something like this happens - this is info on the site which is hosted by Amazon, it seems makes $548. per day - no wonder on one looks after it... https://www.domaininfofree.com/domain-traffic/photo.net

18. isa

isa

To day, now, seems all resolved. Thankyou .