Is Digital Wedding Forum worth the $$?

I was looking around and found DWF (Digital Wedding Forum), it costs $129 a year

to participate and claims to have 5000 wedding photography professionals that

are active members. I got to look at some of the archives and it seems like it

might be useful, but I'm not sure about the cost and if it's really worth it.

Does anyone here have experience with this forum?

They also have a deal where you can spend a little more and be listed on Wedfog,

a resource for recommendations for bride's.

Again, not sure if it's worth it. I already advertise on a local wedding

resource website (which has given us several clients). Any opinions?

TIA

You'll get out of it what you put into it; the same holds for any community. For myself, the investment has paid for itself every year I have been a member, and that's without Wedfog. The networking alone has been absolutely priceless.

It is absolutely worth it. I am not knocking photo.net or anyone who contributes to photo.net, but when I read the DWF I realized it was a whole different level.

Mainly you don't get the 'critique my website' and the 'shooting my first wedding' questions. You still get the website stuff, but it is usually from people who are making minor adjustments to their already established and professional looking websites.

Photo.net is a great place to start and keeping visiting, but DWF is a great place to go for expanding on your foundation.

OSP is Open Soure Photo. It is David Jay's pet project. David Jay is a highly regarding wedding photographer who will admit he is not the best wedding photographer just really good at marketing.

I like OSP as well but you end up with two mildly annoying things - David Jay groupies and the underlying theme that you should by David Jay products. Some of the products are good and a few are a waste.

I just joined in March...and love it. Photo.net was great when I was starting out but DWF is were all the pros/high budget photogs and iv learned soo much.

I have nothing against photo.net, i loved it when i was starting out and didn't know what I'd do if i hadn't found it. But once your out of the newbie stage, DWF is the way to go IMHO!

It all depends on what you want to get out of a forum experience.

DWF is frequented by many of the most successful wedding photographers. There is

probably a lot of good information there (I don't know as I am not a subscriber) but I have

heard that it can be a very brutal place for newcomers who ask questions. I think the

egos are running too rampant over there.

OSP is a David Jay love fest populated mostly by rank newcomers. There is more "lovecat

support" than real, solid information there. If you are looking for comments like "your

work is AWESOME!!!" and support when you screw up then it's a good place for that. Screw

up at a wedding and you will post about it and get responses like "We all make mistakes!"

rather than solid information about how not to screw up again. Going past that, I don't

think there is much real information there. As for OSP being a resource for selling his

products, I was banned by Jay for mentioning a competing slideshow program to his

ShowIt. Draw your own conclusions.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

DWF is like DPReview. Harsh "honesty" (ITHO) - I skipped out of there a few yrs ago after a "trial" period and it turned me off to the "old school pros" because the people you'd expect to be helpful are usually some of the meaner ones.

OSP is friendlier, but you do get a lot more new photographers since it's free & open. You can also get a lot of info on there as there are sometimes over 1,000 photographers online at the same time. More to weed through but great info if you are looking.