is collecting eos film cameras addictive

andrew_spence1

<p>Guys<br>

The first one I got was a black and silver 50e about a week ago for £39 and I thought this is really nice.<br>

I then got a black and silver 500n for £7 I really like it .Very different cameras.<br>

Ive also bought the famous 28-105mm 7 bladed Japanese lens which is on the way<br>

Ive been researching eos film cameras a lot lately and know the ins and out of whatever was on e bay and went for these 2 and thought that would do<br>

but now I think id like some more like a 1n and some of the realLy cheap ones<br>

id like a 5000 the 30 e is off the list as it wont meter manual lenses<br>

I managed to stop buying 120 folders now it seems its the eos<br>

how addictive can this get......................<br>

I hadn't planned on getting into 35mm film until next summer with my AE1 AE1 -P and A1 and fd lenses,<br>

its just that ive so many nice manual lenses for my 550d eos I thought it would be bad not to use them on film too as ive a 504 de vere enlarger and then theres that Epson 750 scanner id like to get<br>

I will be collecting some more film developer and 35mm film tomorrow<br>

and theres no crop factor to think about<br>

maybe I should get a black 500n aswell<br>

o dear..........................................................................................................................................<br>

regards Andrew</p>

<p>Not to throw gasoline on a fire, but if I were you, I'd buy a bulk loader and some canisters, so that you can buy your favorite B&W film by the 100 ft spool. There's nothing like rolling your own! Then go nuts with your newly acquired 35mm gear.</p>

<p>And forget the 750 scanner, at least for 35mm. Use your enlarger, or scan using a dedicated 35mm scanner like a Minolta DiMage Dual IV. I have both scanners (well, actually a 700 and the Dual IV), and the 700 can't hold a candle to the Dual IV. But of course the Dual IV also won't scan a 120 neg or a print, which is why I have both scanners.</p>

<p>Yes, it is addictive.<br>

Initially I wanted an AE-1 because I had one years ago. After acquiring an F-1, A-1, AT-1, AV-1, AL-1, T50, T70 and T90, I started on the EOS range. Now I have pretty much all of them from EOS 650 to EOS 1V.<br>

My favourite is actually the EOS IXe, an APS SLR with eye control focus.<br>

I had fun recently using up my stocks of Fujichrome Sensia before the 1 Nov deadline when Fuji stopped developing the process-paid films. I found manual focus quite difficult, probably because my eyesight has deteriorated in the last 20 years. Nevertheless all the photos came out OK.<br>

I have scanned them all using a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi with a 50 slide feeder. The results are nowhere near as good as my EOS 7D; or in many cases my PowerShot SX280.<br>

Of course the best thing is I have been able to acquire bodies that I could never have afforded before the digital revolution.<br>

I've also got a collection of Sure Shot compacts.<br>

So it can be seriously addictive. I suggest you stop now before it's too late.<br>

Henry</p>

<p>No.<br /> I got all these, because I <em>wanted</em> to, not because I <em>had</em> to, ... I think:</p>

<p>my older reports on EOS film cameras - mostly on the EOS forum, but also on Modern Film Cameras:<br /> <br /> <strong>EOS 650</strong> <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Vlot" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Vlot</a><br /> <strong>EOS 620</strong> <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Vv2v" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Vv2v</a><br /> <strong>EOS 630</strong> <a href="/modern-film-cameras-forum/00YFVd" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/modern-film-cameras-forum/00YFVd</a><br /> <strong>EOS-1</strong> <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WvBD" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WvBD</a><br /> <strong>EOS 10S</strong> <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WxgJ" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WxgJ</a><br /> <strong>EOS 700</strong> <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Wn8K" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Wn8K</a><br /> <strong> EOS 5 =A2e</strong> <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Wrxy" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Wrxy</a><br /> <strong> EOS-3</strong> <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WyuM" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WyuM</a><br /> <strong>EF-M</strong> - <a href="/classic-cameras-forum/00Zyz7" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Zyz7</a><br /> and some others....</p>

<p>My favorite? The EOS-3, although the EOS-1 is nice. They all work astonishingly well, but I am not shooting fast-moving targets.</p>

• Like 1

<p>Andrew -<br>

I am recovering from a serious case of Canon Acquisition Syndrome (CAS) from my youth.<br>

At one time I owened FD series: AT-1,AE-1P 2 * A-1, 2* F-1N, 2 * T-70 and 2* T-90. I then traded up to EOS Mounts and acquired 2 EOS Elan-2's, 2 * Elan-2E, Elan-7 and Elan-7N. I then TRaded those in for Digital and acuired 2* 10D, 2 * 20D, 1* 30D, 1 * 40D. I then (in an effort to cutail my CAS addiction) traded/sold/gave away and got a 7D and a 5D MkII - which is where I have reached a relatively stable point in my CAS habit.<br>

Best of luck to you!<br>

<br />I'm Derek - and I'm a (Former) CAS Addict!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>It can definitely be. My CAS wasn't really for bodies at first though. I went through a "eBay 'Canon film' search" phase to build up my lens collection. As a result, I ended up with a Canon A2, a Rebel G, an EOS 650, and a 30D. I gave the 650 and the G to family to play with, traded in the 30D for a phone (jumped in a pond with my phone in my pocket), and I actually used the A2 for a while. That was mostly because I loved the way it handled and felt, and most of all its build quality. I wish Canon still built them that way, with the self-retracting pop-up flash and the low light beep. Traded it for a tripod. I wish I didn't.</p>

• 6 years later...
<p>Guys<br>

The first one I got was a black and silver 50e about a week ago for £39 and I thought this is really nice.<br>

I then got a black and silver 500n for £7 I really like it .Very different cameras.<br>

Ive also bought the famous 28-105mm 7 bladed Japanese lens which is on the way<br>

Ive been researching eos film cameras a lot lately and know the ins and out of whatever was on e bay and went for these 2 and thought that would do<br>

but now I think id like some more like a 1n and some of the realLy cheap ones<br>

id like a 5000 the 30 e is off the list as it wont meter manual lenses<br>

I managed to stop buying 120 folders now it seems its the eos<br>

how addictive can this get......................<br>

I hadn't planned on getting into 35mm film until next summer with my AE1 AE1 -P and A1 and fd lenses,<br>

its just that ive so many nice manual lenses for my 550d eos I thought it would be bad not to use them on film too as ive a 504 de vere enlarger and then theres that Epson 750 scanner id like to get<br>

I will be collecting some more film developer and 35mm film tomorrow<br>

and theres no crop factor to think about<br>

maybe I should get a black 500n aswell<br>

o dear..........................................................................................................................................<br>

regards Andrew</p>

Will any IS lenses work on the 620?

Any Canon lens with Image Stabilization should work. I have a EF 28-135 IS, 24-105 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and 100-400 IS II, and they all work with my EOS 620.

This is from Canon:

Camera compatibility

IS lenses work with all EOS cameras, regardless of when they were introduced. The IS system − gyros, microcomputer and special lens group − is part of the lens, not the camera. However, there is some communication with the camera and there are some operational differences between the EOS SLR models.

• If you are using the EOS 10, 1000-series, 600, 620, 650 or RT, you will see the viewfinder image shake a little immediately after an exposure. This does not affect the sharpness of the exposed image.
  • If you are using the built-in flash of early EOS models (EOS 10, 100, 1000-series, 700, 750), you will see the viewfinder image shake while the flash is recycling. This will not affect the sharpness of an exposed image.
  • There is some shaking of the viewfinder image after exposures in the DEP mode with the EOS-1, 1N, 10, 100, 5, 600, 650 and RT. This does not affect the sharpness of the exposed image.
  • When an extender is attached to the lens, image stabilisation does not operate with the EOS 1, 10, 100, 1000-series, 5, 600, 620, 650, 700, 750, 850 and RT cameras.
  • During a bulb (B) exposure, image stabilisation does not operate with most EOS models. It continues with the EOS 1000-series, 5, 500 and 700. It stops immediately after the exposure starts with the EOS 1, 10, 100, 600, 620, 650 and RT. In all cases, image stabilisation is unlikely to be effective with long exposures. Canon recommends that the Image Stabilizer is switched off for bulb exposures.
  • With the EOS 3, 50, 50E, IX and IX7, image stabilisation does not work when the self-timer is used.
  • With the EOS 10, 5, 600 and RT set to AI Servo, and with the film advance mode set to continuous, autofocusing will not resume after the AF Stop button has been used until partial pressure is reapplied to the camera shutter button. This also applies to the EOS 5 and 10 set to Sports mode.

We do not have full data for every IS lens/EOS camera combination. Before taking a picture, look through the viewfinder to check that the IS system is operating correctly (remember to allow up to 1 second for the system to start up after the shutter button is partially depressed). If there does not appear to be any increase in the steadiness of the image, or the image is jumping around in the viewfinder, there is probably an incompatibility. Movement of the image in the viewfinder immediately after an exposure is not usually a problem and will not affect the sharpness of the exposed image.

Edited by mike_sowsun
  • Like 1

Should not be addictive since there is only one or two that are worthy, and then maybe add the 650 or 620 since they were first.

Much more interesting to collect the half dozen or so FD/FL bodies that were quite unique in their day.

Of course I have nothing to hold me to the EF film era since I went straight from FD to EF digital. Collecting DSLRs really is nonsensical since the first one's were so limited in image quality.

So glad to find this thread, my small EOS camera body collection includes the Elan IIe, Elan 7e and 1N plus I have the F-1N and T90. With the exception of the 1V I consider these to be the best of the EOS and FD lineup. I'd love to add the EOS-1 and 1V in mintish condition but no luck yet. I love the EOS-1 series bodies. I still love to shoot b&w and b&w CN film and scan the negatives with my Nikon CoolScan V ED. I also own the digital EOS 1Ds, 1D mkII, 70D, 6D and a newly purchased (November 2020) 5Ds. I love my Canon bodies, my first one was a Canon AE-1 Program given to me by my father-in-law when I was taking photography classes at the local community college 25 years ago, that's what started my CAS. Before that it was NAS and now it's small digital rangefinders. Does it ever end?

Should not be addictive since there is only one or two that are worthy, and then maybe add the 650 or 620 since they were first.

Hardly the case. Remember it was the FILM EOS cameras that overcame the dominance of Nikon in the market.

See my list of EOS reports above for many that are more than just "worthy"

JDMvW, I always look forward to your posts and I greatly appreciate your knowledge and love of everything Canon! As I mentioned I skipped the EF film era though I did use my wife's Elan IIe for a year, so I am a naysayer. Remember that I would have been entirely ticked off with Canon for dropping the FD mount after I just bought my T-90! Eye control focus was cute and did not work all the time, though I am a little surprised Canon has never updated it and put it in a DSLR. So, for me, scrub the A2E and Elan IIe from the list, 10S..yuck, EF-M... what a silly idea, now if I could have mounted my FD lenses on it, maybe. For collecting, one of the 600 series since they were new, the EOS-3 because I recall it being the next best thing to a 1, and then one of the EOS-1 bodies likely the 1V HS because it was the pinnacle of the EF film camera era and it could do 10 fps, which is still not common among DSLRs. Though I sure would not have wanted to fly through a roll of K25 or RVP50, in 3.6 seconds at a motor race!

As for the race with Nikon, well that was likely decided by the Canon lenses. Canon chose to put the motor in the lens, which took Nikon what, 15 years, to finally do. Yes Canon aficionados will put that technological breakthrough down to the EF mount design allowing more room for those motors, but Nikon did eventually do it without changing the mount, and the film plane distance. Too bad they eventually copied Canon and went with electronic apertures with the G series. I so wish my 17 TS-E had an aperture ring!

Of course even after I went digital it was about three years before I bought an AF lens, and it was Nikon! Now out of 9 lenses two are AF and they are EF. Looking forward to getting out of Covid and putting them to good use.

Remember that I would have been entirely ticked off with Canon for dropping the FD mount

Well, I was ticked off at Nikon because my non-AI lenses wouldn't even mount on many later Nikons without surgery, so it goes both ways. I now do own some film AF Nikons, but haven't yet got any digital..

I switched to Canon EOS only with digital, and much later discovered the treasures of the film EOS line. and then later of some of the FD cameras (the T90 is also one of my all-time personal favorites-- I may try to fix the magnets this week.)

so I still would argue with your assessment of "unworthy' for a bunch of cameras you seem never to have used.

Yes, I suppose a little unfair of me.

I wish DSLRs had interchangeable parts like desktops. The only "pro" bodies that I have owned were the Kodak SLRn, Nikon D2x, and Canon 1Ds. The Nikon was by far and away the nicest DSLR, maybe camera, that I have owned. Just wish I could take all the guts and the mount from the 5DSR and put them in it! I digress.