Hello, everyone

I am thinking of getting some CD4 to make color developing at home. The supplier says it´s toxic and I need minimum a mask with dust filter.

All developers contain toxic chemicals (I reckon color chemicals contain more) but having only worked with B&W developers I really don't know how much caution I shoyuld take with this!!

In your experince, should I need anything else besides that? Gloves, dust mask filter. How should I get rid of disposed chemicals?

Any suggestion is welcomed!!

Thanks

romeo

You will need a dust mask when you mix it up. Most of the powders (even fixers) fall into this need. The powders can be breathed in and the lungs get an unhealthy dose.

When it is mixed, the developer is no more toxic than the premixed ones you buy.

Ok, I so nothing to worry about if taking normal procedures (dust mask and golves) and once mixed up with water and other chemicals will be fine? Well, it seems fine, then.

Thanks a lot, a I was really worried!!

Personally, I would suggest that you look up what they call MSDS (material safety data sheets) for all of the chemicals that you handle. These will give you some idea of what to be careful of.

Back when these first went into use, near 40 years ago as I recall, they were probably much more helpful to the casual user. Today they seem to have become very finicky, where it seems like almost everything is a deadly poison, even things that we eat. I suspect that legal issues have caused the writers of MSDS to go overboard with every possible precaution, so it is now more difficult for the average person to determine just how toxic a particular chemical is.

Personally I would not want to take any chances of something like CD-4 powder spreading around inside the house, at least to any significant degree.

In my experience, the most worrisome thing about any mixed color developer is that they can be "skin sensitisers," where some people, after a period of time, can develop a severe allergy to the developer. I spent my first several years in high-volume processing freely handling such developers (but always thoroughly washing afterwards with the low pH hand soap recommended). I pretty much learned this behavior from my boss. But then, one day, he developed a severe skin reaction, not unlike that of poison ivy. He was never able to handle color developers again without this happening. Even trace amounts, such as what might be left on a doorknob, even after cleaning it, could give him a reaction. After that I stopped handling the color developers, at least most of the time, without wearing gloves. (I never developed the sensitivity myself.)

To reiterate, I'd suggest a look at all the pertinent MSDS just so you have an idea. If you need to put the warnings into perspective, try looking at several things that you are already familiar with, even food items, such as vinegar that you might put on a salad.

Edited by Bill C
  • Like 1