Is anyone using Microdol-X Replenisher

pnance

I have always had excellent results from using the replenisher. Kodak

has discontinued this product. Some of the paper bag packages I

stocked up are not holding up. The last one I mixed had black clumps

inside and when mixed the solution was black even before complete

dissolving. Unsure which components oxidized but it had to be dumped.

Checking Kodak's site gave a formula to replicate the missing

product. Kodak says it hasn't been thoroughly tested.

From Kodak publication J-4027

"To make 3 U.S. quarts (2.84 litres) of replenishing solution:

1. Start with approximately 2 U.S. quarts (2 litres) of water at 90-

100?aF (32-38?aC).

2. Add the contents of one packet of KODAK MICRODOL-X Developer (size

to make one U.S. gallon -- CAT No. 196 9724) with sufficient stirring

to keep the chemicals suspended.

3. Add 24 grams of photographic grade Sodium Carbonate, monohydrate.

4. Mix until the components are dissolved.

5. Add water to bring the solution volume to 3.0 U.S. quarts (2.84

litres).

6. Mix until the solution is uniform.

The mixed replenishing solution should be stored in full tightly

capped bottles until used. In partly full, tightly stoppered bottles,

a storage life of about two months would be expected. A starting

point replenishment rate of 30 mL per roll of 135-36 exposure film

(or equivalent) is suggested."

Has anyone else tried this?

So, its just Microdol-X, mixed to 3 quarts instead of 4, with the addition of 24g of sodium

carbonate. Sounds easy. Don't know why you want to replenish it, unless you use x-large

tanks, for which I think Xtol is a much better formula for replenishing system. What about

the replenishing formula do you like? How are you using it?

It does seem simple enough Ronald, and will test after using up current stock of replenisher.

I haven't tried it, that's why I was asking if anyone else had. It's different from the original. Notice the replacement used is 30 mL per 80 sq in as opposed to the 22 mL for the original.

I haven't tried Xtol Christiaan, but from the reports of the problems with it!, wonder why anyone would compared with the consistent beautiful negatives I get with this system. Gainer's Vit C formula is more interesting in that respect.

I've used the Microdol-X/Replenisher for about 40 years off and on (every time I go back to B&W) and have never had problems with developer consistency. I do rate Tri-X at 200 to improve shadow detail. The other developers tried have been D-76 and T-Max. Would use D-76 again but not T-Max (too grainy).

Actually, Xtol has been very consistent, save for one or two small scale failures with the 1

ltr size, back when Kodak had problems sealing the Part A of the 1 ltr size, it would get

moisture inside and cake, so it was easy to spot a bad package. Xtol also taught me better

chemical prep procedures, cleaner mixing gear, filtered water etc. Been using it for years

now with no problems.

How exactly do you use the Microdol-X replenisher? Straight or 1:1 or 1:3? One shot or do

you save it? Would be very interested to know, thanks.

I use Microdol-X straight and then add the proper amount of replenisher so the development times stay constant.

After developing a roll of film, before pouring the developer back in the bottle, you add 22 mL replenisher per 80 sq in of film developed before putting the developer back in the bottle, then pour the developer back in the bottle. Replenisher keeps the strength constant.

I use a quart container for the developer and after adding a quart of replenisher I mix a new developer and start again. Let's see, you can develop about 42 rolls of 135-36 with a quart or 67 rolls of 135-24. That's about 44 cents for the 36 exp or 30 cents for 24 exp. Cost effective, fine grain, only down side is the usual need for an extra stop of exposure for good shadow detail. I usually set the meter for 200 asa. I started doing this years ago for the cost savings, and haven't changed because I like the way my negatives look. I like printing 16x20 from cropped negatives.

I was irked when Kodak stopped making the replenisher and would buy it whenever I found it. But I will not longer do that, it doesn't seem to keep well (not sure how many years ago they stopped making it). When I run out of my current batch I'll mix it the new way. Probably have to start checking with a control to make sure the development stays constant with the different mixture. Take a properly exposed shot of grey card at the beginning of each new roll? A check of the density of should let me know if this works.

I don't think any of the replenisher systems are for diluted developers. Once you dilute they become a one shot. If you try the new replenisher formula before I, let me know how it works. I'll do the same if I get to it first.