Is anyone else having trouble with printroom?

pixie studios

<p>When I first signed up with Printroom.com about 3 years ago they were great. Wonderful customer service, easy to use, fast turn around time and a check in the mail once a month.</p>

<p>For the past 6 months or so it seems like they are having trouble with order fulfillment. The 2-3 day print time is turning into 7-10 on a lot of my orders. It was especially bad during oct. & nov. Busy season, I know, but it was never a problem before. Of course I feel like I'm getting the run-a-round when I ask why this is happening. I just chaulked it up to growing pains & I figured it would work itself out.</p>

<p>In addition I was getting really wierd crops on prints. I had to return an entire box of 8x10's that were cropped too close to the top of the head. They told me to resubmit images cropped the way I wanted them & they would reprint them. Huh? That's new. Especially since I could see quite clearly on the thumbnails of my original order that they were already the way I wanted them. New guy I guess.</p>

<p>That's another thing. I've had so many account reps in the last three years that I no longer can count them on one hand. What's going on there that there is such a high turn around rate? Granted a couple of them did get promotions, but the majority of the changes I didn't even find out about until I tried to e-mail someone & got a response from a different person.</p>

<p>Then a few months ago the commission checks started arriving late. They are issued on the 15th of the following month & I usually received it 5-7 days later since I am on the east coast. In September my check took about 10 days to get to me. No problem. It happens. The mail system is finicky. Late again in October. In November my check took about 2 1/2 weeks to get to me. Thanksgiving probably heald it up right? Late again in December. Christmas? Keep in mind the checks were always on time in the two years prior. Now, as of 2-17-1010, I still have not received my January check. I have sent numerous e-mails & the only response I've gotten was a form letter</p>

<p><em>"Due to the overwhelming questions on profit checks I am sending out this e-mail in hopes that it answers your questions: Due to changes to Printroom’s Accounting Policies and Procedures mandated by the Company’s auditors, we have been behind schedule in issuing profit checks. You undoubtedly realize this. For this we sincerely apologize. Please know that we are making every effort to remedy this problem, but understand your angst and disappointment. You are a valued partner and we hope to get this process worked out as soon as possible, so that we can continue to provide wonderful photo products to customers throughout the world. </em><br>

<em></em></p>

<em></em>

<p><em>Accounting & Finance</em></p>

<em></em>

<p><em>Printroom, Inc"</em></p>

<p>When I sent a reply saying this was unacceptable I got the same exact e-mail again.</p>

<p>I can't be the only one who this is happening to, but I'm unable to find any other posts about printroom to compare my experiences with. So now I have three questions if you are still with me after this long rant.<br>

1. Anyone else having problems with Printroom.com?<br>

2. Should I stay or should I go?<br>

3. Can anyone suggest another company similar to printroom.com that I can look into?<br>

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I'm having exactly the same problems with Printroom.com, which is truly sad and disheartening, because they have been a simply wonderful company for so many years!. Unfortunately, they have apparently decided that fraud and deceit now need to be their "survival business tactics" (as if a company that resorts to such tactics has any real hope of "surviving" and retaining clients long term!).<br>

First their customer service rep blatantly LIED to me that my December profit check "was issued and mailed, but was mailed just a few days late because of the MLK holiday in January". When I followed up 10 days later with an email to that same rep saying that the check still wasn't here and that they needed to stop payment and mail out a replacement check ASAP, I did not receive any reply to that second email. So after waiting 5 more days, I called the same rep, who said that this was "an issue that only the accounting department can deal with"; to which I said, "fine, then transfer my call to someone in accounting". She said, "no, I can't do that; the way OUR SYSTEM WORKS is that the rep has to send accounting a message asking them to call the pro-studio client". So I asked her to transfer me to my pro-account rep, which she did, and after expressing my displeasure about being lied to and given the runaround about where the money they owe me is, to my direct question about whether Printroom is "having financial difficulties", she grudgingly admitted that they are "having some issues"! She then ASSURED me that she would have "the lady in accounting call me first thing the next morning". Of course that call NEVER came! Instead, I got the same bullshit form letter email that you quote in your original post.<br>

What it appears like to me is that this previously wonderful company with sterling customer service and great business ethics has now degenerated into a Bernie Maddoff-style Ponzy scheme; where they are perhaps using the profits of sales from MY image galleries to send profit checks to their larger (and thus more valuable pro-studio clients), or at the very least to pay their own operating overhead costs! If this isn't the definition of criminal fraud, then that word has little meaning! I'm already looking into other alternate gallery hosting sites with ordering capabilities.<br>

How the people in top management at Printroom think they are EVER going to retain their pro-studio clients by flat out LYING to us about the status of our profit checks is simply stunningly stupid. Did they think we WOULDN'T NOTICE that they were selling prints from OUR galleries and collecting payments from OUR customers, but weren't sending our profit checks on time, or perhaps not at all? Do they really think that in the age of the internet and numerous boards like this for pro photographers that the word wouldn't quickly get out about such dishonest, fraudulent treatment of their pro-studio clients? It is stunningly stupid to treat your pro customers with such disrespect! If you want to keep me as a "valued client" then tell me the STRAIGHT STORY: don't LIE to me and then give me some bureaucratic runaround thinking that treatment is going to keep me as a satisfied customer! Tell me the checks will be delayed and tell me the TRUE story about when you WILL be able to pay me; don't tell me "the check's in the mail" when you know damn well it isn't! Do you really think we won't notice that it hasn't arrived as you said it would? This is Business Management 101: look under the chapter titled "how to foolishly trash your company's reputation and valuable customer base faster than you can say 'Toyota'... or 'Maddoff'!"<br>

If the past-due profit checks don't materialize pretty quickly, I want the California Attorney General's Office to initiate a criminal fraud investigation and some top executives may deserve to end up behind bars for fraudulently mishandling funds that did not rightly belong to the company: other than Printroom's 16% legal, contractual cut, and the cost of the printing and shipping, every one of those additional sales dollars belongs to the pro-studio clients from whose galleries the image sales were made! I don't intend to wait very long before submitting such a request for a criminal fraud investigation. Anyone thinking class-action lawsuit...?</p>

<p>I am really sad about this too, but, since 2/3 of my income comes from my printroom sales, I have no choice but to s or get off the pot.</p>

<p>I sent out an e-mail to my account rep yesterday (knowing he would pass it on) quoting their new policy & stating how they were not fulfilling their end of the bargain. I also mentioned a possible complaint with the better business bureau if action was not taken by Monday. We'll see what comes of it between now & Monday.</p>

<p>In the meantime I think I am switching to Zenfolio. The only drawback I can see is that they don't offer portrait packages which I use quite a lot.</p>

<p>Hello,<br>

I am sad to say I am also experiencing this problem. It is very annoying as it is 1. screwing up my cash flow, and 2. I have a school under contact so changing the ordering etc. is going to be a royal pain.<br>

I am going to call Printroom and mention the BBB and the California AG office. Question, is there a good number to Printroom that'll actually get someone on the phone? My Account Rep hasn't been very helpful.</p>

<p>I haven't received my December check and I've tried to call and e-mail them for the last week. No response. I don't even know who my rep is anymore.<br>

I decided not to renew with Printroom.com anyway because they won't issue your check now unless it's over $100 (I believe) or they charge you $15 to write one. That is ridiculous. I'm likely moving over to Pictage.<br>

I did contact a friend who is a class-action attorney about our situation. I'll let you know what I find out. Contact me if anyone has questions. If that leads to nothing, I'll be contacting the BBB and California AG office, too. Whatever we do, we should stick together to make sure we are heard.<br>

My studio is <a href="http://www.lbsphotography.com">www.lbsphotography.com</a></p>

<p>Just an update that my attorney wants to talk to me on Monday. Not sure where this will go but I'm sure the more people I can show them that Printroom owes money to, the more likely they'll help us.<br>

If you are owed any amount and are willing to disclose that to me and how far behind on their payments they are to you, please do. That's what the attorney asked me for. Please e-mail directly at <a href="mailto:lily@lbsphotography.com">lily@lbsphotography.com</a><br>

They owe me $330 for January but did pay me for December but it was a small amount. However, others have shared Printroom owes their studios thousands and are causing their families financial hardship. That is not right and they need to pay us our money.<br>

I'll post on update on Monday after my call with them.</p>

Hey guys, was about to post something myself until I saw this thread. I don't mean to jump to conclusions but I always get my check between the 19-21st. I kept asking where my check was and my account rep never got back to me...he got in touch with me regarding every other issue I have ever had. This month was my smallest check I have received in a year (due to my sales which for the time of the year is normal for the last four years) That said when I went to Bank of America just now after having to pay myself for the check to be sent via Fed Ex the bank told me the computer was coming up "non-negotiable" and they couldn't cash my check. This has never happened since the year and a half I have been cashing my Printroom checks at BOA. I'm obviously concerned since I also can't get an answer from Printroom.

<p>Same story here - have not seen my December check and was told it was sent but a day late because of the MLK holiday... am looking for January but not holding my breath. They owe me $750 for December and January and so far another $430 for February activitiy. They really do great lab work - I just started ordering 16x24's and 20x30's of my sports collages and they look great but it would appear that they are playing games with our money... not a good sign. I've sent Lily Hay my information since she is meeting with her lawyer on Monday about a possible class action. Would advise others to do the same. Printroom claims to provide services to 30,000+ professionals - I would really like to know how many of us they are lying to. I've been with them for three years and have paid the premium for unlimited space since I upload a ton of sports photos. </p>

<p>I am spending part of today compiling totals and information to present tomorrow. Thank you so much to those who have sent me information. I also wanted to mention this attorney is a longtime LBS client of mine, which is how I have formed this relationship. Thought it might make some feel better knowing that. Here's what I need to know from you:</p>

<ol>

<li>Name</li>

<li>Studio Name</li>

<li>Total of late check payments</li>

<li>How late are the checks - seems most are coming from Dec.</li>

<li>Have you incurred any interest charges or fees due to your late checks? (Our checks aren't supposed to be late!)</li>

</ol>

<p>There are also some concerns that have come up saying that maybe Printroom is taking more than their % off our checks. I have often wondered this myself and encourage all of us to go back and make sure they aren't playing more games.<br>

Be back tomorrow! <br>

</p>

<p>Sorry - a couple more things - let me also know if:<br>

6. Did you pay a for a Pro or Premium Membership? I know they are still collecting this fee as mine was just about to renew and someone did call a couple weeks and left me a message to remind me to pay it. <br>

</p>

<p>Follow-up: So far I just answered some questions about who owns Printroom - what I found is they are privately held. There's definitely a reason to act but the question will be whether they have any money.<br>

So sitting tight until I hear more from them. Please keep your e-mails and information coming - particularly if checks are bouncing!</p>

<p>This from my post on SportsShooter regarding me just talking to the CEO of Printroom....<br>

Hi guys. First off my apologies for starting a new thread regarding Printroom, but thought my message/conversation might get lost if I continued in the previous thread. Carlton Osborne, CEO of Printroom, just called me, as he said he would, and what I was personally told was that the company had some financial woes the last couple of months, but everything was getting cleared up. This was going to get accomplished by getting some sort of financial backing that was going to be completed by today. I did make it clear to Carlton that he was losing a bunch of photographers. And even I had received calls and emails from fellow photographers telling me what they were owed and that they hadn't received payment for some time. He said everything was going to be rectified this week and people were going to receive their checks that were due to them. I'M JUST TELLING YOU WHAT CARLTON SAID TO ME, SO PLEASE NO COMPLAINTS TO ME IF HE DOESN'T. I mentioned to him that I had signed with another photo hosting company because I was caught in a bad spot. He assures me, and every other photographer out there, that this problem is being rectified this week and he gave me his word that it would not happen again. That said, I will republish my galleries and give Printroom another chance. Whatever else everyone chooses to do is obviously their own choice. Incidentally, last week I covered a retail technology conference devoted to the impact of the Web and social media these days, and how services such as blogs, Twitter and Facebook are important tools for consumers and professionals to get the word out "immediately" about their personal experiences. Based on what I heard, I made it very clear to him that he handeled this PR fiasco terribly in this day and age of instant social media -- not only the hit companies can take from consequential bashing via these social networking tools, but also the disservice they provide if they say to "follow them on Twitter or Facebook," yet they don't respond to our correspondence or heed our concerns. Again just passing along the words I was told... Best, --Jack</p>

I received this e-mail tonight supposedly from Carlton Osborne - has anyone else?

<br />We understand you may not have received a timely profit check from Printroom recently, and we regret any hardship this has caused you. We know you want to know the answer to three basic questions. What happened and is Printroom in any serious difficulty? Lastly, you want to know what Printroom is doing to remedy the situation.

Let's deal with the second question first. Printroom is in good financial shape. Honest. Thanks to you, your colleagues, and a major investment in operations this past year, we expect a record sales year in 2010; this, despite the recession.

As to what caused us to take longer than normal time to pay some photographers their profit checks, it had two causes. As you are aware, the economic downturn has had wide reaching consequences, and the photography industry is no exception. This decline, coupled with the first quarter of the year usually being a slow time for the photography industry, has caused Printroom to take a longer-than-normal time to issue profit checks, despite our planning. In short, when things got slow for you, they got slow for us.

We truly apologize for mishandling this cash crunch and our poor handling of communications with some of you. Printroom has taken the necessary steps to address this issue. We've raised additional capital through our venture capital partners and taken other measures to improve our financial position. We have begun catching up on our profit checks and our plan is to have everything back to normal by the middle of next month.

<br />

Specifically, I can confirm that any outstanding checks due to you were sent via Fedex today and you should receive it tomorrow.<br /><br />This is the first time in our company's history that we have been faced with such a problem, and we look forward to restoring our usual reliable service to you and your customers. Business relationships are like personal relationships-- the best ones allow for error and forgiveness. We pledge to do better.

Sincerely,

Carlton

<p>I finally got paid. Yes, I am very happy but don't feel warm and friendly like I used to with Printroom and some of the fine employees. I hope everyone gets what they are owed. Finally today, two separate checks via usps mail arrived (another incompetent tool). Yes, I too was told I was getting my checks fedex a week ago and never did. One of the checks goes back to december. I cancelled my pro membership and plan to use zenfolio with printing through another lab. </p>

<p>I too am owed a check. My check should have come in Dec and yes I have received the email that my check was sent out. I have still not received it.<br>

I am not going to use Printroom anymore and am looking for recommendations for a printing service that hosts and does the type of process that Printroom does. I used to fill everything myself but soon became overwhelmed.<br>

I personally hope that Printroom can recover enough to pay us...but after that I care nothing for their situation. They collected the customoer's funds up front and should then send our proceeds out via ACH or even Paypal. What they have done is taken the "free loans" from us, and likely made very bad investment decisions.</p>

<p>I did receive my check last week via FedEx and it has appeared to clear. I am, however, done with Printroom. I feel they had no reason to lie to their clients. I'm also wondering how much they are now having to spend on FedEx shipments to all these photographers. More poor money management along with already poor client care means I'm moving on, which is a shame because they had always been a great company.<br>

Anyway, if you're still waiting on your money I'd e-mail the CEO of Printroom, Carlton Osborne, directly and hopefully that will get things moving for you. His e-mail is <a href="mailto:carlton@printroom.com">carlton@printroom.com</a><br>

</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Similar experiences here. I can get no responses from the company so I have filed complaints with the California State Attorney General's office as well as the Better Business Bureau. <br>

I will let you know if it brings any resolution.<br>

Jason Truman</p>

<p>Sorry to hear people are still having problems. I got my December and January checks via FedEx about two weeks ago and asked my bank to check and see if they "were good" - they had no way to do that but so far I have not received anything from them to indicate there was a problem with them. Since it's March 17 I am somewhat anxiously awaiting my February check (which should have been issued 3/15/10) - but won't get really nervous until after the 20th or so.<br>

I have noticed that the response time on orders has improved - they are generally going out the day after I send them the full files which is an improvement. I am really hoping they get their act together. My business with them is picking back up - I've had the best January, February and March (so far) that I've had in the three years I have been with them. Up until Jason Truman's entry I thought things were on the mends.</p>

<p>Thanks to this thread, I emailed the president at carlton@printroom.com I heard back this morning from him. He informed me that my check went out yesterday. So,Jason Truman, I don't know if you emailed him already- but at least email him to see if you receive a response. Mind you, I haven't received my check yet but I'll post to this thread as soon as I do.</p>