IS and battery consumption

b.j._porter

I just placed an order for my first L series IS lens, the 70-200 F2.8L

IS. Very exciting, I can't wait for it to arrive, but I have yet

another question.

Do the IS lenses suck substantially more battery power from the body?

Any idea how much momre rapidly I will wear out the batteries? Or is

the IS a lower power draw than I am anticipating?

I'd been considering a battery grip for my camera (300D) anyway,

partially to help balance the weight of the lens and also to give me

more life. But I am wondering as I start using this new lens

extensively (which I imagine I will, since it is by far the best lens

I will have) will I NEED to have the extra batttery life?

I can't give a precise answer but when I shoot without an IS lens it generally works out that I fill up a 1GB micro-drive, after deleting maybe 50-70% of shots along the way, at just about the same time as the battery on my 1Ds expires. When I shoot with an IS lens the battery always goes first, usually with about 20% of the micro drive empty.

I shoot that same IS lens with my 10D with the battery grip and 2 batteries. I normally shoot a 3-4 hour photosession with models and I have tons of battery time left over. I would highly suggest the battery grip though as the convenience of the controls, the ability to turn it vertical and the extended battery time all are useful factors. I think I could make it through a solid 8 hour day with the IS engaged during shooting with 2 batteries but I've never tried.<br>

<br>

Kevin<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.onemodelplace.com/kevinriggs" target="_new">http://www.onemodelplace.com/kevinriggs</a><br>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/kevinriggs" target="_new">http://www.pbase.com/kevinriggs</a>

Why would you worry? Carry spare battery or two and see how much do you need. You do not want to walk with camera without spare battery anyway.

Power draw by IS depends on use pattern. (My unscientific feeling was that running IS draws little energy, compared to engaging IS.) So everyone's milage would vary.

Image stabilized lenses vary in their power usage. I have two of them, the 28-135mm

(which is mostly relegated to being a backup lens), and the 100-400 L (which I use a lot).

The 28-135 is a smaller lens with smaller elements, and a smaller mechanism for IS. The

100-400 is huge and heavy; you can actually see, feel, and hear it when the IS engages.

The 100-400 draws way way more power than the 28-135. Your particular shooting style

also has some effect. If I am using the big lens for photographing a wild animal, for

example, I might hold down the shutter half way for a long time, waiting for just the right

moment to snap the picture. All the while, the IS is engaged, draining the battery. So there

is no way to accurately predict how much power you will use for your new lens. It depends

how you use it, and it will vary from day to day.

Carrying an extra battery or two is essential. A battery grip is not necessary. I've used my

100-400 L with an EOS-3, an EOS-1v, a D60, and a 10D. I didn't/don't have a battery grip

for any of them. I'm just used to the feel of the camera without one, and whenever I've

tried one, they feel strange to me. As long as I have a spare battery or two, I never worry

about the battery grip. On your 300D, it only takes a couple seconds to change the

battery. No worries.

Some people get the battery grip because they like the feel of it, and like the extra shutter

button for vertical shots. If you want to get the grip for those reasons, go right ahead. But

I wouldn't get it solely for the longer battery life.

Just my $0.02.

Hi BJ,

I also shoot the same 70-200 IS lens but on a 10d, with a few other lens in between, but about 50-60% of my shots are from that lens. Out of a 15-hour shoot (camera on all the time), shooting about 900 shots, I went through 2 batteries fully (I have no battery grip).

If I were you, I'd buy a few more batts just for peace of mind or for times when you really want to burn CF cards like a maniac. Just buy the 3rd party ones (I bought 4 from eBay), they are only about $20 each and have slightly higher capacity, and I reckon, it's money well spent.

Enjoy your new lens ! You have made an excellent choice.....the image quality is mind boggling and the AF is super fast! And with the IS, in lowlight and high ISO, you become a superhero !

Keep on shootin'..........Wee-Ming