Is a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED AF too much for weddings??

mtrejo6

I just recently got a great deal on a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED AF lens and was

wondering if it's too much for weddings? I currently have the following

lenses: 28-75 f2.8, 50 mm f1.8, and a 70-300mm f3.5-4.5. I figured I needed

a faster lense for some tight shots. Should I have gone for a wide lense like

a 15mm f2.8 instead? Your thought are appreciated.

There is always some use for that focal legenth ( Mainly engagment shoots, in churches, or sniping outside during the ceremony) but it will be very limited. The best verastility is found in the 70-200 2.8 (a smarter purchase) which will have the same quality as the 180 Not sure why they make it> the 200 2.0 is sweet. There just won't be that many shots at that focal legnth to make it worth the hassel. you have that legnth already in the 3.5 which is more versitile for outdoor weddings though it will not create images like the 180. I think you will find it lives it life in it's case after you are done playing with it for a couple months.

It's a great lens--I have one myself--but I can't see weddings being its strength. It's not as versatile as the 70/80-200/2.8 zooms (while being no faster; it is lighter, of course).

Particularly if you're shooting digital, I'd have to believe the 180 is too long for all but a very small subset of shots that you'd get at a wedding. I've shot a few myself, and I always packed the 80-200 rather than the 180. It's a heck of a lot easier and faster--quick reactions are vital at weddings--to change focal lengths by turning the ring, instead of swapping lenses or zooming with your feet.

My widest lens is a 24, and I often found myself longing for something much wider than that on my digital body.

If you want a long lens for weddings--and lots of other stuff--why not see if you can get enough from selling the 180 (someone will snap it up) and the long zoom you have to buy an 80-200/2.8? The last version of that lens is extremely good (no VR, unfortunately), and much cheaper than the newer 70-200 models; you could probably get one for just about what you could sell your two long lenses for.

The 28-70 and an 80-200 will be an excellent, fast and versatile pair of lenses for your purpose. If you're serious about weddings, though, you eventually will need something wider--sooner rather than later.

It works well for back of the church full length shots and mid distance tight shots with digital. With film you just need to work closer. If you have the 180/2.8, you will probably never use the 70-300 again.

Unless I was trying to do two very different things, I wouldn't think of a 180/2.8 and a 15/2.8 for the same shot.

> I currently have the following lenses: 28-75 f2.8, 50 mm f1.8, and a 70-300mm f3.5-4.5. I figured I needed a faster lense for some tight shots. Should I have gone for a wide lense like a 15mm f2.8 instead? <

Re your purchase, I agree it will be used sometimes, but not a lot.

Re your question (marked above) I interpret that to mean you ant to add a faster lens to your cache for one of the following:

1. tight portraits? With good bokeh?

2. Or up close and personal using a wider lens?

OK: My assumptions are that you have Nikon x1.5 body, which means you have equivalent 42mm F2.8 at the wide end.

So, (acknowledging 70 to 200 F2.8 is a great lens for Weddings and not knowing the Nikon range of lenses intimately), I think you would get more use from prime lenses around the following areas for the two scenarios I outlined:

1. 85mm, 100mm, or even 135mm (a squeeze) at F2 or faster

2. 20mm or 24mm at f2.8 or faster

With your current lens line up on a x1.5 sensor body I would choose a fast 85mm and a fast wide, but not wider than 20mm; the choice between 20 and 24 would be made ultimately by their speed.

Anything wider than 20mm [x1.5] (at a Wedding) is potentially dangerous, IMO, unless in experienced [wide angle] hands.

WW

I apologize. I was a bit unclear at the end. I had been thinking of buying either a wide angle lense (15 or 20mm) or a fast telephoto lense. As I mentioned, since the opportunity came up, I purchase the 180mm. My question probably should have been whether or not I would get good use out of the 180mm vs a wide angle lense like the 15mm. Thanks for your inputs. A lot of good stuff so far.

Manuel, not sure if you are using film or digital. For digital it is hard to beat the 12-24 zoom for wide angle. It is a lot of fun working receptions with this lens. I also have the 80-200 glass and that too is fantastic, but I use the 12-24 at every wedding. Sometimes the 80-200 doesn't come out of the bag unless I need to shoot from the back of the church/temple only.