Is a flash bracket really "old hat"?

blanston

<p>I use an RRS flash bracket along with a Quantum setup for portions of receptions and sometimes if it is a sit-down dinner afterwards, but this Flickr thread (http://www.flickr.com/groups/weddingphoto/discuss/72157623405352610/) featured some disparaging remarks about brackets, so I would be interested in your thoughts and practices.<br>

<br /> (The reason I sometimes use a bracket is because frequently the receptions are held in rooms with very tall ceilings, and I can't control peoples' proximity to suitable walls for bouncing. I have tried a number of card-bounce type flash apparatuses, with marginal success.)</p>

<p>I used one for years, but as the proliferation of diffusers and off cam flash has come along, the brackets have become less favored for me. I currently only miss using one in churches with very high ceilings and no where to bounce from. Even then, with the carful use of balanced flash and a higher SS, it works well. These later cameras that allow easily shooting at 1600 - 3200 iso make it very doable IMO. <br>

The note you make about the reason you still use one sometimes would be my only reason to keep using one. The thing is, I cannot get a system that works well to keep the cam body stable on the bracket (not twisting all day) and tight versus sloppy fitting in the QR bracket. Also, one that allows for a good QR system, and does not add 2lbs to everything. I don't like those the put my shutter release on the bottom for verticals either. <br>

I still have a couple Stroboframe Pro-T's and a couple older ones along with the QR plates et al.</p>

<p>I hate shooting with one, but I would never shoot without one. I'm quite paticular about my brackets, and I tend to only like the horribly heavy ones with the circular-swing motion, not the flip brackets. I don't always like to bounce, and sometimes I want the flash to add fill while using an off camera flash as well. I wouldn't shoot without one, simply because I don't like the look if I don't use one. But I'll forever curse the added weight and shoulder strain. </p>

<p>After browsing through the Flickr thread, I would ask "Who are these people?" Are there a bunch of pros hanging on Flickr?<br>

There are a number of reasons to continue using a bracket these days. They are really most of the same reasons that they were used in the past: First, getting the flash higher does more than emliminate red-eye. It also helps to push shadows lower behind the subject and keep them out of view. When shooting vertically (as the vast majority of wedding/portrait images are) a bracket also helps keep the shadow of one subject from falling on the face of another. Second, even if I not always using flash, this keeps the flash handy for when it is needed. Yes, I could keep it on the hot shoe and turn it off and on, but: Three, the bracket also holds the transmitter for my radio slave. Four, and this is the biggest reason for me, it gives me a few other ways to hold the camera while I am not actually taking pictures. I used to end up with a very sore and tired right elbow. Letting the camera dangle in my right hand and bringing up to my face to shoot hurt my elbow! The bracket that I use lets me easily hold the camera with either hand.<br>

To also ad a note: Just because there is a flash on a bracket does not mean that the photographer is "blasting" the subject with light from the flash. My best out door images are taken when I work with the sunlight and shade to get the best lighting possible and THEN add a little flash to open shadows and make sure that there is light in the eyes. One of the problems that regularly comes up for a professional photographer is that we have to be able to make great images at any time. We don't get to schedule our wedding portrait sessions for early morning or late afternoon. If the couple schedules a 1PM ceremony, we are working outside at 3PM. The bride doesn't want to look at her images and say, "Well, the light wasn't perfect . . . " Having all of the tools helps us to do that.</p>

<p>Ed</p>

<p>So you asked a similar question in 2001, but have kept using brackets? I'd say if it works for you, why question it?</p>

<p>Anyway, I use a bracket when it matters, and not when it doesn't. I have lots of different brackets. Mostly, I don't use a bracket and bounce my flash all over. We didn't have that luxury in the past since we were stuck with lower ISOs so bouncing all over was difficult, plus you couldn't fine tune the bounce (not being able to see the results instantly). Perhaps you should investigate and practice wall bounce instead of ceiling bounce (or a combination). I find that if you use a card (which I do sometimes) you will still get shadows next to walls. If you bounce off the wall behind or to the side of you, the shadows are diffuse enough to not be alarming. Plus, if you are dragging the shutter, you don't have the harsh look of flash only.</p>

<p>When I use a bracket, I am now using a Siegelite Stratos 10 inch post flip bracket backwards on the camera, so the standard is to camera right and flips to the right. I also have a Custom Brackets QRS-EV, which flips the camera. I still like it very much and would use it if I know I'd be in a situation all day where I wanted to place the flash above the camera. The reason I use the Stratos now is because I am mostly attaching the bracket only when I am using the flash direct and want that height over the lens for verticals--mostly where shadows might show. Outside, for fill, shadows often don't show, so it doesn't matter whether the flash is high over the lens. Even with the bracket on, I can still bounce the flash.</p>

<p>On Sunday, I photographed a wedding on a boat, where the ceilings are very low. I used a bracket during the day and took it off at night. During the day, for formals, the way the boat interior is constructed, a bracket is a must. The exterior is bright sunlight, the boat has wraparound windows (no bounce plus flash back), the formals had to be at that spot, the ceiling is goldish flecked mirrors (no bounce) and the boat interior is very cramped. One also could not set up an off camera light at all, since there is simply no space plus the boat takes off from the dock right after the ceremony-so you are moving. And, use of a bounce card was out because of the bright exterior--the flash does not have enough power to project enough light to balance, although halfway through the formals, I switched from direct to a bounce card as the light outside faded a bit. Oh--and sometimes, splashes of sunlight hit the subjects, since we are moving, not to mention we are in a terrific rush to get the formals done--a boat wedding is a pretty short affair--and to get the sunset image.</p>

<p>Most of the time, the situation isn't quite as extreme, and some other method can be devised to avoid the bracket. I see no reason to go either one way or another--why not use what makes sense for the way you want your images to look? I personally don't care one bit whether I look old school or whatever--that should be the least of your concerns.</p>

<p>Another bracket user here. Very big churches. I like how my stroboframe kicks my flash a good foot in the air and it keeps it there for rotating shots.</p>

<p>I think the braket has fallen by the wayside in recent years more out of laziness to pack it and lug it around than anything else (just like the tripod).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think the braket has fallen by the wayside in recent years more out of laziness to pack it and lug it around than anything else (just like the tripod).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>that and the fact that there are cameras at higher isos making flash use less necessary in most places..</p>

<p>but it is not laziness, its the fact the thing is so darn heavy and i already lug too many lenses around :)</p>

<p>I still use a flash bracket, and I am anything but an old school photographer (just turned 26 today, always shot digital). I use a Custom Brackets QR35, with quick release on the camera, and a quick release tripod mount. I also use the bracket for studio shooting, since it keeps the lens in the same spot for portrait and landscape shots, which I find much preferable to rotating the tripod head.<br>

I will say, my rig is extremely heavy. It consists of a Qflash, 5D with battery grip+24-70, and sometimes I clamp the battery to the bracket too, so I can set the whole thing down while I grab some shots with the 70-200.<br>

If I'm shooting in a venue with a white ceiling, I will often just throw the Qflash on a straight bracket, which is a bit more manageable than the big camera rotating bracket.<br>

On the original thread, he was talking about senior portrait shooters using brackets. For portraits, I almost always use a flash on a light stand, and not the bracket. If I'm shooting a wedding with an assistant, I will often do that instead, as well. But I would reject the notion that flash brackets are outdated-they can still be very helpful tools, in certain situations.</p>

<p>I have to agree with David--I have very little sympathy for wedding photographers now :^). I used to carry a medium format camera on a heavy bracket with a heavy flash and trigger, a heavy battery pack, and a heavy shoulder bag to carry the larger medium format lenses, all day long. Sometimes I had a 35mm SLR on my other shoulder. My shoulders and forearms (not to mention back) used to ache when I got home and through the next day. Now, all that ache are my feet--that part didn't change.</p>

<p>"So you asked a similar question in 2001, but have kept using brackets? I'd say if it works for you, why question it?"<br /> <br /> (Here is the post Ms. Nadine references from 2001, where I "ask a similar question": http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?topic_id=23&msg_id=001Cdt)<br /> <br /> Again, I use a bracket in situations where using a bracket results in better images than not using one. I was as interested in the group's reactions to the Flickr thread as much as the feedback. (Is there a way to turn off responses from salty mods?)</p>

<p>There is no salt in my comment, Robert. There is no hidden meaning or negative intent in my question to you. David Schilling's post above references your old thread--I did not dig it up. If you perceived my post as negative, I'm sorry. I was trying to be helpful. My comments about the weight are tongue in cheek.</p>

<p>As usual, I just answered the question(s)--you asked for "your thoughts and practices". If you wish to make it important that the most useful post comes from a young person, that is your prerogative.</p>

<p>Robert, this question pops up frequently and a quick search will give you several threads on the subject. It generally divides up in to three camps, those who always use them, those who never use them, and those who will use or not use depending on circumstances......</p>

<p>Indeed, I referenced your old post on the same topic in my response above. I've never witnessed Nadine get "salty" but I've had my moments. The most comprehensive response to your posted question in this thread was supplied by Nadine. If the matter is truly important to you, I would still suggest a search of the other recent threads.</p>

<p>Off topic, but I have observed that some photo.net mods exhibit the very behavior that moderators generally try to police, e.g, overposting & even bullying, on occasion. Frequent contributors can be a good thing, but isn't "moderation" the root of "moderator"?</p>

Slightly off-topic, I must jump in here and say Nadine is arguably the least "salty" of any of our venerable mods. In fact, she's anything BUT salty :) And I agree with DS, her comments have been the most comprehensive, as they often are elsewhere in the annals of photo.net ...

<p>Ok, back on topic, whether old hat or not, I have never had desire for one (doesn't suit my style), nor do I plan to get a flash bracket. I use Demb's Flash Diffuser Pro and find that they and totally meet my needs and often surpass my expectations.

Back to the question - For outdoor work I usually don't use one, but at the receptions, church, and temple work I almost always use a bracket. I'm using the Quantum trio without a bracket, the T5DR with a bracket, and they sit high enough above the camera that red eye is not an issue. We all have reasons for using a bracket or not. I hate shadows often casted by on camera flash units, so brackets come in handy, simply a tool, such as a tripod, a camera, lenses, or photoshop. Whatever makes you the best photographer you can be.

A. Davis - Happy Birthday!