Is a DX lens necessary to get the best out of a D70

tidris

I am just getting initiated into digital photography after a long

break from photography. Could someone tell me if a DX lens is

necessary to utilise all the features of a D70. Would perhaps a Nikon

AF-G 4.0-5.6 70-300 mm lens do just as good a job as any in its price

range.

TIdris

DX lenses are designed for digital from a focal length perspective and are suppossedly tuned for the differences in digital sensors with special caotings or ED elements. I tend to beleive a bit of the hype because I've seen chromatic abberation/color fringing in long telephoto lenses with my D70 where I didn't see it with my N80 or N8008 film cameras. Of course, there is a workaround for everything and the CA goes away if you don't shoot wide open on backlit subjects.

I guess my simple take is if you are starting out, get what you can afford. If you relly get into it, you'll notice flaws and get better gear.

Ray: Sigma's 12-24 is a decent example that it's actually possible (though not necessarily recommended).

Ha, one may argue that DX lenses cut corners. Because that's exactly what they do. Flame me :-)

Hey TIdris,

besides the kit lens, I'm using a 1993 (might be 1991, I can't quite remember) 75-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 AF Nikkor (made in Japan) which I used to mount on a F801.

Within its market target (it's not a pro lens) and beside slow focussing, it's doing great job on my D70 (which is not a Pro camera anyway).

On top of that, I still use my 1991 SB24 speedlight (no TTL, but Auto mode is doing quite well).

I'm not plannig to change lens, just saving money for a SB800.

in the beginning, when the D70 came out on the market, I couldn't believe it. I searched the Net for positive confirmation on that compatibility. When I found out for sure, I felt Nikon deserved my fidelity. So you might find on the market cheap, old used lenses(in good working condition) which are actually better built then todays low-end lenses (my lens' body is all scratches and bruises, no more paint on the metallic corners, but the glasses are in excellent condition an the zoom mechanism working flawlessly). Give it a thought. good luck

" if a DX lens is necessary to utilise all the features of a D70 "

Quite contrary. Full frame lenses with larger circle of coverage use only central portion of the image in the smaller sensor of D70. Edges and corner areas of the full frame lens are not used (cropped out of the picture). Most lenses have the best resolution at the center of image, while edges and corners have far lower resolution. Utilizing full frame lens, uses the best quality cental area of the image.

DX lenses are tailored for smaller size sensor, and have smaller circle of coverage. All corners and borders of the image that DX lens produces are part of your photograph.

DX is only necessary to get a decent zoom that covers the range from ~18mm through 55 or more mm. It does help also with the ultra-wide 12-24's.

The only reason the 55-200 is DX is to keep the price down.

Wow Guys - I'm quite overwhelmed with such a wide range of response, mostly from personal experience perspectives as well as technical know how. Thank you ... I am now going to go looking for a second hand 'older' lens ... perhaps not a zoom but a couple of good telephotos. Nothing has changed in that respect then over the past 25 years.

Taha,

Since you have been watching lenses for 25 years, even if you have perfect vision, with age you will appreciate auto focus (AF). Besides age, since D70 viewfinder is not that bright, AF will help.

So, your older lenses should not be "that old", as they may not even measure the light on D70. That is, the manual exposure with very old lenses is a pain, even if they fit and mount on the D70, try to avoid them.

Good luck!

I have indeed avoided the very old lenses which are relegated to the manual use. You are absolutely right about appreciating the Af feature. I am now in the process of getting the G 70-300 which will serve me for the time being. Perhaps a more uptodate ED lens in the near future.