Is a 32gb UDMA memory card good for the D300?

orcama60

<p>Hi guys, I just need to know if there would be any problem using a 32 gb UDMA ( 90mps ) in a D300? I know that a 16 gb card is well taken but don't know if a 32 would be recommended for this camera. Please advice. <br>

Best regards<br>

maurice</p>

<p>I use 4gb cards in my D300, they work well for me. I can't imagine needing a 32gb card. As it is I can fit around 200 NEF+JPG images on one 4gb card. So that would translate to 1600 images on a 32gb card. Imagine losing that card, or the card failing and losing the images. How would you explain that to a client whose once-in-a-lifetime wedding you've just shot, and that you don't have the images they expected? Madness if you ask me. Now video, yes I can see needing a big card like that for video. But for stills...*shudders*</p>

<p>Thank you so much Dave. Precisely I was thinking to buy this card to shoot a wedding but you are absolutely right. If that card gets damage or lost for any reason, I will kill myself ...... ( lol ). Definitely I will buy a couple of 8gb so I will be fine. </p>

<p>Also, the cost per gigabyte goes up with the 32GB cards. Also consider investing in a SanDisk Extreme firewire (not USB) card reader, a FireWire 800 adapter for your computer (if not already equipped), and a few appropriately fast (ex: SanDisk Extreme 4) CF cards.<br>

Yeah, your D300 might not be able to take advantage of them, but it will significantly speed up the copying to your computer process. If you're doing this professionally, time *is* money.</p>

<p>I would not want to shoot a wedding but I see no problem with a large capacity card. For myself I think I could hang on to it easier if it is just in the camera. I have a 4 gb card and have never taken it out since the first day (about 4 yrs). Never had a problem with it. Sometimes I wait a month or so before downloading the pictures and they always seem fine. </p>

<p>largest card i own is 8gb. i find 4gb is a goldilocks size, though--not too big, not too small.</p>

<p>the d300 does not have a backup memory slot, so having backup cards is a good idea. even if i were shooting video, i wouldnt want to have stills and videos on the same card. for a wedding, i might go so far as to have 3-4 cards, one for each section of the event--formals, ceremony, reception, plus at least 1-2 backups as a fail-safe.</p>

<p>i dont shoot weddings, but if i shoot 3-4 events in the same day, it is actually easier for me to have multiple cards, especially as far as naming and cataloging files and folders. in such instances, 32 gigs would only get in the way.</p>

<p>I shoot with a D300 and a 32 gb UDMA card and it works just fine. No one says you have to fill up the total 32 gb before you download it. I just shoot what I need, download it to my Epson P-7000, put the card back in and continue shooting. I have been using the card since May, 2010 without a hitch. Love the capacity and speed.</p>

<p>Reason I've been happy with 4GB Extreme IV Sandisks in my D300 is that my computers with standard DVD writers can burn disks of the entire image of the card without having to split up the files. It's a productivity thing. Looking forward to the day that memory cards are as ubiquitous and cheap and archival as film--so that one might reasonably choose them as long term storage instead of less-reliable and fragile DVDs</p>

<p>I've got a mixture of 4, 8 and 16gig CF cards that I use in a D700. I've noticed that the bigger cards are marginally slower, both in the camera and to read from - despite being all the same make and labelled with the same speed rating.</p>

<p>I've also noticed that you get progressively "stiffed" on the true size of the card as the nominal size increases. The 4 gig cards are pretty close to a genuine 4 gigabytes, but the so-called 8gig cards are down to 7-and-a-bit gigs as seen by the computer, and the 16gig cards are even worse.</p>

<p>In view of the above, the fact that an 8gig card can store over 300 RAW+jpegs and it only takes about 30 seconds to swap out a card, I really don't see the need to use anything larger. With hindsight I wouldn't have bought the 16gig cards except that they were on offer and cheaper than two 8gigs at the time. </p>

<p>PS to Ivan: At least one traditional HDD manufacturer is looking to develop flash memory as an alternative medium to magnetic disks for permanent storage.</p>

<p>Just to second the performance thing: I got a 32GB card when I saw one on special, to complement my tendency to switch between four 8GB cards during a day. (I shoot RAW and I'm bad at throwing away images, at least until I've seen them on a bigger screen.) The 32GB works fine on the D700, but there's a noticable pause when you switch the camera on compared with the 8GB cards, irrespective of whether the card is empty - I'm not sure why. It might be specific to the cheap card that I got rather than a size thing, though (not that most of my 8GB cards are expensive). I suspect if a D700 copes with such a card, a D300 will - at least if you've got a recent BIOS. HTH.</p>

• 4 weeks later...