Is 30D/BG-E2 combination cranky like 20D/BG-E2

chris_newkumet2

Hello all:

Sorry to repost, but was I advised to seek more input here. I'm a relatively

busy wedding/corporate photographer and my main kit includes a Canon 5D and 20D.

With Canon's rebate program about to expire, I'm wrestling with the notion of

replacing my 20D with a new 30D. Now I fully expect, as many of you do, that

Canon will be announcing a replacement for the 30D later this month or next.

Even so, I'm thinking a 30D makes sense for me right now strictly on a

bang-for-the-buck basis. I'm also planning to pick up the 100mm macro, so my

rebates would double, landing me a 30D at roughly $940 net. Anyway, my real

concern is that the 30D may carry some of the bad habits of the 20D, which I'd

describe as cranky, rather than really buggy. Many of you have reported the

unexplained err99 shutdowns that I've experienced in the 18 months I've had the

20D. I've always been able to solve shutdowns by turning off the camera or

removing and reinserting the batteries; but with a bride on the way up the

aisle, that's not always practical. I notice that the 30D uses the same vertical

grip, the BG-E2, as the 20D. I've never liked the interface between my 20D and

BG-E2 -- too much give which, I'm sure, contributes to err99 and other

shutdowns. Can those of you who have the 30D/BG-E2 combination give me a

critique of the performance? Does the grip flex away from the body when the

camera is in the vertical orientation, especially on a tripod? Do you get many

error messages? Feedback from those who've had both the 20D and 30D would be

especially welcome. I've used the vertical grips with the 10D and 5D with

absolutely no problems; they fit hand-in-glove, very snug. Hoping the same is

true for the 30D. Thanks for all input on 30D/BG-E2.

I heard canon recently revised the BG-E2 grip after the "cranky" problem you describe was discovered, all grips after a certain date/serial number should have this problem fixed, my BG-E2 (on a 20D) is a newer one and has never had the flexing from the body problem, and in 1 year has only had two or three err99's, and they were caused by the lens. Do a search on this forum for older posts about this, I have read several posts about this in the last year or so.

Hi Chris,

I've been using 30D with BG-E2 for several months without any of the problems you've describe. I find the camera quite reliable, never even a hiccup.

Mine gets hard use at events, where I'll shoot up to 1000 images a day and share the duties between this 30D and a 10D with vert grip.

One major difference I've noticed betwee these two cameras is that the 30D's batteries last much, much longer. In addition to the slightly increased capacity of the newer batteries, it appears to me the camera uses them much more gently (I practically never use the built-in flash, but do use IS lenses that consume more power).

Unfortunately, I can't compare to 20D directly because I don't use one.

I am seriously considering getting a second 30D, even if the model is being phased out. We'll see what the replacement offers, if there is one, before deciding. If it's just an increase in resolution, I don't see a significant image quality difference between 8MP and 10MP.

I have purchased the new BG-E2 for my Canon 20D past Decemebr and it works great. I have even tried to flex and bend when the 2 is attached and it is quite solid. ( I bend it at a reasonable force ). I have never had any err99, then again, i have never even upgraded the firmwares on my Canon 20D since i bought it the first month it came out cause i had no problems with it so i would not need to upgrade it IMO.

The BG-E2 seems very well built to me, I have it on my 20D ever since early December and it has no problems at all.

Cheers,

Patrick

I bought an EOS 20D on closeout after the 30D debutted last year. The BG-E2 it came with

contains the updated components (gold contacts as well) and has no flex and subsequent

loss of power. I have never, not once, gotten an err99 or any sort of lockup in 9 months of

use. However the largest lenses I've used were an EF 300 4L USM and EF 70-200 4L USM.

Canon can update your BG-E2 to the stiffer components. I've read some had it fixed for free

although out of warranty.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

No problem. I have both, a 20D with original BG-E2 (with the problem) and 30D with newer BG-E2 (no problem). I'm one of the folks that Puppy Face mentioned; I sent my original BG-E2 back to Canon Canada in Dec 2006, and I received it back about a week ago, all fixed and no charge (the 20D and grip were bought new in Nov 2004).

Does anyone know the serial numbers of the new series?

If not, could those who have the new version of BG-E2 post their s/n?

I'm thinking of getting one too. Half a year ago I was put off, reading about the various problems. It's great they've fixed it. I'll be getting myself a BG-E2 for my birthday money, hopefully :)

I have both the 20D and the 30D. I've had the BG-E2 for a little over a month now and have not had any problems with it on the 30D (it stays on the 30D since this is my primary camera now). I haven't noticed any excessive flexing, but if you apply enough force I'm sure you could flex it a little...

I shot a wedding for a friend 2 weeks ago with the grip and it preformed flawlessly.

I haven't had a low battery with the grip even after 1500+ exposures, so I don't know how far it will go.

Ed K.