Ireland - North by Northwest

rachelle_m.

Hello all,

So I've finally decided to revist Ireland during my spring vacation during the

last two weeks of April. I will be travelling with a tripod and a couple 35mm

bodies and possibly my TLR for some medium format shots. Although I have a

variety of photographic interests, for this trip I'll be focusing on landscapes

and seascapes. My itinerary is to spend a few days in each of the following

areas - Co. Clare, especially the Burren; Connemara; Co. Donegal, especially the

area around Glen Gesh Pass and Slieve League; and the Giant's Causeway and the

Glens of Atrium in Northern Ireland. Although this trip is more of a 'taster'

to get a feel of certain areas I'd like to revisit for longer periods in the

future, I'm trying hard not to make it a whirlwind tour of these sites. My goal

is to be able to get 2 sunrise/sunsets in one specific area of interest (like

the Giant's Causeway for example) to account for unpredictable or dismal weather.

I did the southwest coast of Ireland last year, so I think I have a good feel

for the roads and driving times (and extremely confusing, last second, and

incomprehensible road signs), but what I'm interested in is the practicalities

for photographers. For example, I know that the Cliffs of Moher and the Giants

Causeway are popular sites for many people, but what are they like around dawn

and dusk? What about at night (for long exposures)? Are the winds off the

coast likely to be a problem? Are there any or many limitations in terms of

access - specifically at the site, but also after hours?

Do you have any other recommendations or advice about the areas I've listed above?

Cheers,

Rachelle

Put rocks in your pockets so you won't get blown off the cliffs into the ocean. Seriously, the wind can be fierce and gusty. Rain can be a problem too for photography; you already know that. But when you get a good pic in Ireland, it's good.

Think heavy & solid for a camera support system.

I did my sunup/down shooting in several cemetaries in and around the Dingle at just above ground level with WA lenses (DSLR, 1.5 crop).

This is one of my favourite areas of coastline in the UK or anywhere else and I'll probably be spending another week or so around there later in the year. Just keeping as close to the water as you can is the way to find photographs. Here's some areas that have been particularly productive for me.

First and maybe foremost Connemara and in particular the area around Roundstone, Cashel, Ballyconeely and Glinsk directly west of Galway. This area , of all of those I mention really does repay a bit of time and detailed exploration.

Westport, the coast west to Louisburgh, and Achill Island

Around Sligo, I like the beach at Strandhill and the area around Cloghboley and Mullaghmore slightly to the north. Also don't miss Streedagh on a short peninsula south of Mullaghmore

The beach at Rossnowlagh, just south of Donegal, is surrounded by holiday homes, caravans, and a decent hotel. But its the place where I've been most successful in photographing ocean cloudscapes on a ripply sand beach, particularly late in the day.

I don't know about Slieve League because when I've been there its been too foggy to see anything.

The area of Donegal around Gweedore/Bunbeg/Burtonport, and also the area further east around Dunfanaghy and Horn Head.

Personally I like the northern part of the Inishowen peninsula around and north of Culdaff.

Giant's Causeway/Northern Ireland ? Well to me there's a less interesting , maybe harder edge to the N Ireland Coast. The walk down to the causeway from the carpark is quite long if you're carring lot of equipment, but at dawn and dusk the locals just seem to drive all the way down there on the access road and therefore so do I. To my mind the area worth seeing is that between Portrush and a little west of Cushendon.

No point thinking about the weather- you could get just about anything and in the course of two weeks no doubt you will. Its a changeable time of year in a changeable area. Indeed an alement of cloud and storm is going to give the best photography anyway, though you have to be ready to catch fleeting periods between showers. It can get windy - the coast mainlt looks straight onto the prevailing wind but it can be beautifully still and calm too.

In general the negatives are that the towns aren't teribly interesting - though Galway and Clifden and Westport are OK- and the inland area is not as attractive as the coastline. Western Ireland is "white bungalow land" and there are far fewer old cottages and farmsteads than you might think. Hotels and food are surprisingly expensive. But the coast is glorious<div>00NztA-40951984.jpg.13f2912172c3ac61d2ae9f168aa0fce9.jpg</div>

The drive from clifden to westport passing by killary harbour would be worth the detour. It seems like you are squeezing a lot into two weeks though. If you venture to Achill, take the service road to the top of minaun for a great view west down the island at sunset. It will be windy but with no steep drops to fall down!<div>00NzuH-40952184.jpg.d56457509522dc1359b5ae0cf4e56094.jpg</div>