Iraq Slideshow - excellent pics

anesh

Hm. Well, 'as a photographer' I see a montage of technically excellent photos reduced to a

numb and mawkish 'time magazine does war' montage, at least when arranged in this

manner. It's also one huge copyright violation from start to finish, editorialises hugely ('Bush

international airport' indeed) and commits the almost unforgiveable sin of setting slick,

combat-free war photos to the output of a choir.

<i> Nice pictures, good presentation, gore and guts are not needed all of the time.</i><p>

The presentation in question is 100% white-sauce; insubstantial, irrelevant, uninforming, and so neutered that the pictures could pass for Hallmark Greeting Cards.<P>

Get Well Soon.<BR>

And that's an ORDER!

• 1 year later...

They are indeed good photos for the most part. They would seem to be copyright violations too, being used for a commercial purpose

without attribution. Did "GCS Distributing" actually take or pay for these photos? Nothing smokes me more than companies trying to

glom on to patriotic service, sacrifice, and sentiment for their own commercial benefit.

Further, I can't agree that the idea of presenting a sanitized slideshow that completely ignores the suffering of the Iraqis themselves,

while emphasizing the sacrifice and heroism of American soldiers is without implicit editorial content. It's a statement about what

matters to us, and it isn't Iraqis obviously. The Iraqis in these photos only gain importance in their relation to American soldiers. I don't

need blood and gore, even though that's a big part of the story. But this montage paints a picture of happy Iraqis and suffering

Americans. Check out age of the empire Brittish "art" and you see the exact same thing, from another empire that went to the middle

east to die.