IR photography

ymages

i read, i think it was in popular photography.. 9they did a piece about the 350D) there are companies who will sell you a brand new 350D allready for IR photography, or you can send them your camera and they will convert it. But, you can then only use it for IR photography.

Best is always a hard way to put things. I suspect a converted D2X or Canon EOS 1Ds Mk II, but if you wish to keep this beloe $5K US, I'd recommend looking at converting a Nikon D70s. The body is well under $1K, the conversion is relatively easy to do yourself if you aren't squeamish about opening up a camera, and you can even correct the autofocus for IR. I have some information about working with this camera on my website at http://www.evolvingbeauty.com/general/tech/infra-red.htm (please not there are some Nude images at the bottom of the page, but all the DSLR IR stuff at the top is nude-free, for the moment).

Eric Boutilier-Brown

http://www.evolvingbeauty.com

The Nikon D2h is one of the DSLRs most sensitive to IR (making it hard to use in low, incandescent light). The D2x is filtered, making it one of the least sensitive to IR (yielding much better color in the process). Read all about it from Bjorn Rorslett in www.naturfotograf.com.

Depends on what kind of IR you are interested in. The comments above refer to short-

wavelength "near" IR. What the camera sees is IR produced by some quite hot source (the

sun, etc.) and then reflected off subjects, just like visible light.

If you're interested in thermal (long-wavelength) IR, forget any of these suggestions.

Thermal IR is the infrared emitted from the surface of any object with a temperature above

absolute zero. These wavelengths are very much longer than what you can record with

infrared film

or a DSLR sensor -- you need a highly specialized instrument, often with a chilled sensor,

to

make an image of thermal IR from anything at 'normal' temperatures (i.e., anything that's

not extremely hot).

Just got myself Paint Shop Pro X and found it has a tool for creating pseudo IR.... or is it real IR ? :-) ..... with adjustments for the strength of the IR effect, add flare [not sure why one would want that],and a grain control.

I use a Nikon 5700 for my IR stuff with a Wratten 87 equivalent filter [LEE]