IR photography on Nikon D3100

venkatuhegde

Hi there,

I am abeginner and have purchased Nikon D3100 recently. After seeing some IR

photograhed images, I am completely in awe of them and want to try myself. Could you

peers please tell me if its possible to do IR photography on my cam? IF yes, then what

lenses/filters will I need? And what are the tricks involved?

<p>Hi Venkatraman. I can't vouch for the strength of the IR filter on the D3100, but I'd suggest getting your hands on an R72 filter of the right size, and trying whatever lens you have. Bear in mind that you'll probably have to compose, focus and expose manually, and that you'll have much less sensitivity than in visible light (unless you modify your camera), but so long as you don't mind reviewing the images and shooting repeatedly from a tripod, you should do well.<br />

<br />

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html">Bjørn</a> mentions IR behaviour in his lens reviews, but I'd start with what you have and work from there. Bear in mind that the cool features of IR photography often rely on direct sunlight (blue skies go black, green foliage glows), so pick the day to try it out - strong light will make shooting easier as well. There are some good guides on-line (and a lot of threads on this site), but I'm sure others can advise; most of my IR shooting was with film, but I've tried a filter on my D700 and it basically seems to work. Good luck.</p>

Thanks Andrew, your suggestions are much

appriciated. And your words are really

encouraging. Right now I wil google for the above

said filter, and cant wait untill I try it. Any body else

have tried it on same camera by themselves? Hope

to more responses sharing their views and

experiences.

Regards,

Venkatraman Hegde