IR Filters In The UK?

Hello Gary,

You would be much better off buying, and using John Milich's specially designed and machined filter holder for the 16/18/21 Tri- Elmar, which also allows you to carry on using the original lens hood.

See this thread on the Leica User Forum :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/20384-wate-filtered.html

Regards

Eric

Gary Ferguson wrote:

>Thanks for the answers, but I thought the filter for the 16/18/21 was a special design due to the protruding front element and the way the lens hood screws into the filter thread?

Leica offer an accessory filter adaptor for the Wide Angle Tri-Elmar which provides a 67mm filter thread.

In response to the argument about choosing Leica, B+W or Heliopan filters, they all appear to use the same very high quality glass. However, having bought all three brands, I find that B+W filters with a brass thread work best by far.

B+W filters are cheaper than Leica filters and more expensive than Heliopan. I would gladly pay the extra for the brass mounts that never seem to get jammed in a filter thread.

The reason I recommended B+W is that UK availability of the UV/IR filters seems better from B+W than from Leica or Heliopan. In the end, the buyer will decide what features he/she values most and buy accordingly.

I second the use of the John Milich adaptor, in the end it costs about the same with the Leica 49mm filter (you use the filter glass only) as the ridiculous Leica adaptor with its vents and plastic rings and 67mm filter does, I have both for my WATE and the JM solution wins hands down.

Several people have tested various brands of UV/IR filters and the consensus seems to be that the Leica filter performs better with the M8 software.

The Milich adaptor costs $150 + $30 shipping to the UK contact him via jm@milich.com