"iPod as Digital Photographer's Best Friend"

._._z

If that device was some sort of cradle that you slip your iPod into then I'd consider getting both. But that cable setup just means that reading CF cards with it will occupy both hands and it looks to cumbersome to be useful. I'd rather just get one of the dedicated portable photo-storage devices at that point, especially considering how expensive the iPod is.

>>>>>>> But that cable setup just means that reading CF cards with it will

occupy both hands and it looks to cumbersome to be useful.

It's just like switching lenses. It occupies both hands. So what's wrong with it?

The setup is made to empty the contents of your CF. You do that once in a

while not while you shoot. The total volume of it is the equivalent of two decks

of cards. Cumbersome?

Well ideally I'd like a device like the <a href="http://www.kanguru.com/mediaxchange.html">this</a> that doesn't even need a button pressed to do it's thing. I'd like it to turn on when a CF card is inserted and start moving images from the card to the storage device. That way I could just keep it in my camera bag and switch CF cards as needed. Assuming you have 2 cards you only have to stop shooting for the 15 seconds it takes to switch CF cards and then you can continue shooting while the device is reading from the card.

<i>that cable setup just means that reading CF cards with it will occupy both hands

and it looks to cumbersome to be useful</i><p>

Possibly, but I doubt anyone's going to use it outside on a windy day while also

holding camera equipment. I could see it being used indoors, or in a car, where I

don't think it would be particularly unwieldy. <p>

<i>especially considering how expensive the iPod is.</i><p>

Considering that it can simultanously hold thousands of photos, songs and data (it's a

plug-n-play bootable Firewire hard drive) it's not particularly expensive ... if you need

what it

offers.

You must be kidding. Have you compared it to what else is out there? come now :)

I think the convergence of these devices is a really handy idea, if ever a media reader comes out for the iRiver I'd buy one. I don't need such a device enough however to go buy an ipod for that purpose. I'm too much of a stickler for the sound quality issues to even consider going that route.

I think Dave was on to something with the wireless connection thing...

It would be nice to have a bluetooth (or any other wireless technology) adaptor the size of a CF card which could communicate with your laptop and just send the images directly to the laptop as they are taken.<br>

This would totally eliminate the storage barrier!<br>

Does such a beast exist?

I have owned a couple of iPods. My current model is the latest 20GB version and I love it for music and for backup of key user files from my Mac or PC. But the thing sucks, in terms of performance, when rigged for downloading digital images from a card. I've read the comments from many disappointed buyers of this gizmo/attachment (made by Belkin) and believe its purchase will prove disappointing to any who succumb.

• 2 weeks later...