Introduction

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by leicaglow, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Okay, here it goes. I'm really nervous. <g>
    My mother dropped my on my head at a grocery store when I was young. I'm sure this has a lot to do with how I turned out, but regardless, I started photographing when I was 7 years old, and had a darkroom at 12 (I'm now 51). I've got developer in my veins. I had my first image displayed at the Portland Art Museum when I was 18, and a full exhibit in college. I got a sweet gig working for the US distributor of Hasselblad, and bought my first one when I was about 21. I met a lot of great people, bought my first Leica (an M4-2, winder, and f/1 Noctilux). The Nikon rep and I started a commercial photography firm, specializing in architectural, product, fashion, and aerial work. I also worked as a string for a wire service, and also with a movie studio, photographing movies for local press, including the movie Animal House.
    I spent a lot of years starting and selling technology firms, and returned full time to photography about 5 years ago. I continually shot commercial work for key clients that I did not want to lose, but lately I have been working more on books and gallery work, and have had the most success in selling large prints through key interior designers, which is how I make most of my revenue.
    I am working on a new product, called Orfolio (.com) which will allow photographers and artists to put their portfolios online using a home PC computer (no host is needed), and includes a PayPal interface, making it easy to capture sales, and a blog and newsletter system.
    My photo assistant is my dog, Calvin, a 4 year old Bichon Frise. We thoroughly enjoy living in Central Oregon, where we photograph with everything from digital, antique, 35mm, Hasselblad, Holga, and large format cameras.
    My most recent book is "Winters Chant", and I have had pretty good success with an instructional book on stand development, entitled, "Iridescent Light - the Art of Stand Development", both available on Blurb.com.

2. Neat stuff Michael. I had no idea.

3. Your website sounds like a really good idea. When will it be up and running?