Intro and question about equipment needed-WWYD?

missy_kay

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

My name is Kay and I am a photographer in NJ. I really enjoy reading this forum. I have booked several weddings for this year and have some extra money to spend on equipment. I have about $1500 that I'm allowing myself to spend on new gear.<br>

This is what I have so far- 40d, XTI(backup), two 430ex flashes, 28-135mm IS, 24-70mm L, EF10-22mm, 50mm 1.4, 70-300mm(worst lens ever), About 14GB in total on CF cards, sunpak lights.<br>

So these are my options that I'm thinking about getting:<br>

Option 1- A used 5D and a 580EX flash<br>

Option 2-580ex, more CF cards, a lowel light, one of those batteries that helps your flash recycle(not sure what they're called) & a Macro lens<br>

Option 3- 135mm 2.0(I have heard amazing things), 580ex, sunpak<br>

Option 4- 70-200 IS 2.8 L (keep in mind I can always rent this)<br>

Or another option? Thank you for your help</p>

<p>Option 3, but what is the 'sunpak'. I'd substitute the battery pack. I like Quantum Turbo SC--so small, you can put it in your pocket, or the Canon battery pack.</p>

<p>Option 1 if you really, really, want full frame. I use a Canon close up lens instead of a whole macro lens.</p>

<p ><strong><em>Option 1</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Little point as it makes the 10-22 superfluous as an integrated item. Your Flash seems adequate at the moment, other issues have more priority. Then again the 5D makes the 24 to 70L a main working zoom. Owning an EF-S lens and the option of a 5D is a dilemma, IMO. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><br /><strong><em>Option 2: </em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Battery pack for your Flash makes sense IF you use a lot of Flash AND / OR require quick recycle. Macro seems excessive IMO.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong><em>Option 3: </em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >135 Really Nice lens, and not inexpensive. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >How often will you use the F2 through to F5.6 at 135mm on your 40D? As before Flash seems adequate – you seem intent on a 580 – do you not have enough reach / power with the 430?<br /><br /><br /><strong><em>Option 4:</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >To convince me, you would need to explain WHY you NEED this lens in an APS-C Wedding kit - the fact that you mention you can rent it implies little use. It is a great lens – if you are in the Wedding Photography Business I think that amount of capital investment has to be used, not just be there to look pretty.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong><em>Or another option? </em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >If you are considering dropping that large money on the 70 – 200F2.8L IS – then rethink your whole kit and drop the $s on the EF-S 17 to 55F2.8IS – this lens is the undisputable ACE main zoom lens in the Canon line up for an APS-C Wedding Kit. And certainly it will be far for functional than your both your 28 to 135 IS and 24 to 70L.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >You are critically short of a lens fast and wider than 50mm, Often I make this point – you however might not have many situations where Flash is not allowed. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >e.g. EF28F1.8, EF35/F1.4 or F/2 etc</p>

<p > </p>

<p >As a general comment I think you need to concentrate on WHERE and WHAT your kit is growing into <strong><em>regarding what format(s) you want to use. </em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p>Until about 3-4 months ago I was shooting weddings with a 40D and 20D, with tamron 28-75, sigma 10-20, and 85 f/1.8 with 580EX and a few sunpak hot shoe flashes. That was technically enough.</p>

<p>I then bought radio triggers for my sunpaks, a 135 f/2 that has seen very little use but does come in very handy outdoors, a canon 24-70L that was nothing but trouble from the start (softness issues, canon repaired it 4 times), and a 70-200 f/2.8L IS that I thought I needed, but didn't find much use for after all. Then I bought a 5D a short time ago, and the 24-70L and 85 f/1.8 gained new purpose and function, and the 70-200 is now a practical and usable range indoors. That's technically enough too.</p>

<p>It's not enough to me. I still need a second 580EX, a 35 f/1.4L, a 85 f/1.2L, and to replace my sigma 10-20 with a canon 16-35 f/2.8L. And I think I want to sell my crop sensor cameras and move completely to full frame. Will it be enough?</p>

<p>As long as you have some off-camera flash, powerful on camera flash with ettl, an f/2.8 standard zoom lens, a fast midrange prime and 2 camera bodies, it should be "enough." Oh and CF memory...I have 40gb right now, and it's just barely enough for a full wedding day. Shoot in RAW.</p>

<p>At this point:</p>

<p>sell one of the 430's and replace it with a 580.</p>

<p>In all lens cases, it depends greatly on your style and the preference for FL. If you shoot in a more distant way, the 70-200 is a must IMO. In this case, get that lens and drop the 70-300 (though not literally ). If you shoot close and intimate style, you already have a great lens for that (10-22).</p>

<p>So from here the question to my mind is more one of flash or not. If you want to shoot available light and more of an observer style, you would do well to get the 24/1.4 IMO. Then eventually, the 85/1.2</p>

<p>Adding more CF cards is always a good idea IMO.</p>

<p>Well, there you are and off you go. Enjoy boosting the economy...</p>