"A: Nikon does not have the intention to reduce its activities on the pro

market, quite the contrary. We are preparing very nice products, which will

allow us to recover market shares in this sector. I cannot tell you anything

for the moment, but you will not be disappointed..."

In the last part of the interview, which concerns mainly Nikon France, the

director mentions the fact that all remarks made by Nikon users and also those

remarks made by professional photographers during specially organized meetings

are reported back to the R & D department of Nikon Japan. I really hope that

Nikon is indeed listening to its customer base.

The article that accompanies the interview is a reflection of the various

rumours that are circulating the web, so I won't go into these, as they have

surely already been discussed many times and are rather pointless anyway. It

does say however that we are likely to see some new launches during the rugby

world cup, to be held in September 2007.

Concerning new products, as far as I know, Nikon headquarters frequently does not inform their subsidiaries until very late, shortly before the actual announcement. Whoever is in charge is Nikon France (or Nikon UK, USA, Canada, etc.) does not necessarily know a whole lot, and even if they do, they won't say anything useful prior to actual product announcement.

Frankly, Nikon has pretty much abandoned the pro market for several years. The D2H/D2Hs has been hopelessly out of date for several years and the D2X is over 2 years old. Talk is cheap; I would take it with a grain of salt.

hi Lil ...

and AMC has been making automobiles since 1954. oh wait, they quit in 1987. Bronica started in 1958 and killed off the last body in late 2005, Contax in 2005, etc.

i'm certainly not trying to be negative on this subject, but companies do examine their margins. it's a well known fact that Nikon has been concentrating on the consumer market for quite a while now, and for good reason, since much can be made there (in terms of volume).

yes, some predict that Nikon has been concentrating on the this market to enable them to fund R&D for a higher-end body. film is pretty much dead ... we havent seen much in the non-DX glass, but are seeing activity in the DX lens department.

so, if Nikon decides to come out with a D3(some letter), then the next logical question is, "is it a FF"?. based on current Nikkor activity, what WOULD be the logical answer?

personally, i think we're done (as well as the manfacturers) with the megapixel race. i think the most we'll see from now on is 12 MP sensors for the "35mm" category (which is why i now have a ZD).

i'd LOVE to see a collaboration and eventual marriage of the SuperCCD and Foveon sensors, say, one in the 10-12 MP (effective pixel) range for a "35mm" category body.

anyway, so back to Nikon and the future. it HAS been a long time since Nikon has done anything for the pro market. i'll give them till the end of the year before i make any sort of "switching" decision.

if Nikon offer's nothing "serious", i'll dump all my Nikon bodies, keep a couple of Nikkors for my Fuji S5, add another lens for my ZD, and fill my gear box with Canon equipment.

warm regards, michael

Michael wrote:

if Nikon offer's nothing "serious", i'll dump all my Nikon bodies, keep a couple of Nikkors for my Fuji S5, add another lens for my ZD, and fill my gear box with Canon equipment.

My reply:

That's curious, if Nikon does offer up a state of the art pro body (I'm pretty sure they will), then are you going to keep you Nikon bodies? Seems to me the point you are trying to make is you want to replace your Nikon bodies regardless of what Nikon does.

hi Anthony ...

let's say Nikon comes out with the D-300 with nothing very special beyond what the D200 offers (and offers no pro level body). i'll sell all my Nikon bodies and Nikkors and SBxxx flash units, sans a couple of Nikkors to use with the S5. i'll use that money to buy up Canon gear.

if Nikon comes out with the, say, D3, i'll keep all my Nikon gear, get the new D3, and push forward as usual.

regards, michael