International or Graflock Back

louis_jensen1

Most spring backs will take (but some just barely) a Grafmatic. The only problem is if it's a real tight fit, it's difficult not to move the camera a little while inserting it. Try it before spending a lot of money on a Graflock back.

" spring backs are much more convenient to use than Graflock backs"

Why?

Anything that fits a spring back fits the other. But not everything that fits an

International back fits a spring back.

Anything that fits under the gg of a spring back fits underneath the gg of an

International back.

The only exception is the Wista spring back which opens so wide most roll

and all film and pack backs fit under the Wista gg.

Louis: If I remember correctly, a Grafmatic can be stuffed into a Zone VI back but I was uncomfortable with the strain on the springs to get it there. There are some cameras, like the Tachihara, where they fit quite well without Graflok features. I made my own back for my Zone VI, this was a very simple thing to do. You get the graflock hardware off Ebay by buying a basket case Graphic or one of the Graflok backs without camera which come up regularly. I wouldn't bother holding out for one with the flip up metal hood, which is frequently missing. I would hold out for one with a real Kodak Ektalite fresnel since slapping ground glass in the bare frame isn't going to work. The actual construction of the adapter to the camera is easy, and the only power tool involved is a jig saw which costs $25 or less and a hand saw can do the job for less than that. The wood store where you get the two pieces you need to make the back will cut the wood for you, and it really is just a matter of glueing and clamping from there. If you want dimentions and more specific instructions (or a photo) let me know. I don't think anybody makes one of these commercially so you will either live without or make one yourself. The good news is that the Zone VI is one of the easiest ones to make due to the dimentions involved. Making one for a Deardorff was a lot more trouble due to the corner pins.

Spring backs are more convenient to use because the back doesn't have to be removed in order to use the roll film holder, Polaroid holder, Readyload/Quickload holder, etc. When using these holders with a Graflok back the back has to be removed from the camera and put somewhere, the holder has to be fitted, then the back has to be retrieved and replaced.

"Spring backs are more convenient to use because the back doesn't have to

be removed in order to use the roll film holder, Polaroid holder, Readyload/

Quickload holder, etc. When using these holders with a Graflok back the back

has to be removed from the camera and put somewhere,"

Guess I am too used to the Linhof International Backs. These attachments are

easily mounted, and locked in place, without removing the back - as long as

you are using the same holders.

If you want to use a Linhof Super, Techno or Cine Rollex back the

groundglass comes off on a Linhof. If you use a slip-in holder like a Rapid

Rollex, Polaroid sheet or pack back the gg frame does not have to come off.

A Grafmatic will slip under a Graflex Graflok groundglass back without removing it, just like a spring back. If you want to use the camera as a rangefinder camera, however, the Graflok gives you the option of removing the groundglass back and focusing hood, making the camera lighter and making it quicker to change Grafmatics.