Hello everybody,

Does anyone know of places within 50 miles of Raleigh, which are

good for practicing photography. By good places, I mean interesting

architecture, scenic beauty, landscapes, ruins etc. The places I

have visited include Eno River park, Jordan lake, hanging rock, Lake

wheeler, nc zoo, the town of Apex etc.It seems that, the list of

places is fast exhausting. Anyone has any suggestion. Places that

are not so famous but still provide valuable opportunity to the

growing photographer. Any input will be valued.

One option to consider may be the numerous university campuses in the area (UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State, Duke, etc.). Chapel Hill's campus is quite beautiful. I've taken some shots of the main campus and also of the botanical gardens just to the south. I hope to take some shots of the Duke Chapel at Duke Unviversity in Durham sometime soon. http://www.chapel.duke.edu/chapel/home/

Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a number of murals on the sides of downtown businesses which would make good shots early in the day or in the evening.

Also, do a few google searches for outdoor events in the area in the coming months. I've found most people to be very friendly here. Say hi and chat with them and you may get lucky for a couple shots.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Supriyo, this will be a very late reply; very sorry. There's much good photography, as others have suggested, on the Duke campus. Don't miss the area around the chapel, and the Sarah Duke Gardens!

You may have heard the old saying, "It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there." For Raleigh, it's entirely different--the Raleigh area is a wonderful place to live but a lousy place to visit. :-) We don't have much in the way of scenic wonder nor of flashy entertainment.