Interesting Photoshop CC upsampling video tut on Preserve Detail

<p>Maybe those already on the CC subscription plan already know the powers of this new tool, but since I haven't gone down that road I was surprised at the results achieved in its new "Image Size..." tool demo-ed in this YouTube tutorial that left me speechless...</p>

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S29pVImGNJE</p>

<p>I didn't think much could be improved on upsampling until I saw that video. Thought I'ld share it. It still doesn't get me to want to adopt the CC subscription plan, so I'm wondering what version of LR offers a similar tool that has Preserve Detail function.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's clear this thread wasn't meant for you, Andrew. Maybe you could point to a better demo.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A better demo of what? 2 year old software features? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>You know of a non-subscription LR version that has the same upsampling function?<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, CS6. No preview which is kind of pointless if you have to upsample to a fixed size but the algorithm's are the same. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>All <em>automatic</em> does is pick the appropriate algorithm based on if you're upsizing or downsizing. The Bicubic algorithm's otherwise are the same. In CS6, if you're upsizing, you have (or should) pick Bicubic Smoother, downsizing, Bicubic Sharper. Now Photoshop picks this for you since it understand if you're adding or reducing pixels. <br /> "<em>Preserve Detail</em>" <strong>is</strong> a new option for upsizing in CC. I believe it came out of Smart Sharpen.<br>

LR still does a better job sampling IMHO and based on tests I've done out to print. It's an adaptive sampling and sharpening. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>So LR4.4's adaptive sampling and sharpening delivers the same or better results as in that CC video tut?</p>

<p>I was about to pull the trigger on CS6 CD upgrade from CS5 because I'm just not loving LR's nested complexity and GUI interface but I do like it' upsampling results with my 6MP Raws as long as I select the right amount of initial sharpening in Details panel.</p>

<p>I saw the video and got the impression it was better than what I was getting in LR4. It's not a deal breaker and I may just go ahead and get CS6 just to avoid LR's way of doing things.</p>

<p>That darn Bezel flashing on screen with every Command Z of the history states is just annoying. And I don't like having a bunch of Virtual Copies of thumbnails cluttering the folder and grid view. I still don't know what the use of "Save" command is in LR and wish there was something that was similar to ACR's "Export Settings To XMP", but I can't find it in LR.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info, Andrew.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So LR4.4's adaptive sampling and sharpening delivers the same or better results as in that CC video tut?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The tests I did were with LR 5, out to print upsizing 400%. LR using sound capture sharpening produced a slightly visibly better print compared to PS using it's upsizing algorithms (not smart sharpen), step interpolation and Perfect Resize or whatever that 3rd party plug-in is called. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was about to pull the trigger on CS6 CD upgrade from CS5 because I'm just not loving LR's nested complexity and GUI interface but I do like it' upsampling results with my 6MP Raws as long as I select the right amount of initial sharpening in Details panel.<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can try this yourself on a demo before you buy PS. The sharpening however is super important in <em>Detail</em>, too little or too much might be an issue. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I still don't know what the use of "Save" command is in LR and wish there was something that was similar to ACR's "Export Settings To XMP", but I can't find it in LR.<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Save? Not sure what you're referring to. It's automatic in LR. There's a preference to automatically save XMP too. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Save? Not sure what you're referring to. It's automatic in LR. There's a preference to automatically save XMP too.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is all in reference to my work habits developed editing over 3000 Raws in ACR where I've gotten into a groove editing to what I think is close to finish, export to xmp, then do some further tweaks like maybe split tone which creates "Custom Settings" on the left drop down menu and then revert back to "Image Settings" in the same menu. I don't have to hunt through a long list of history states or deal with Virtual Copies as in LR.</p>

<p>Hitting Command S in LR writes all the edits at that time into xmp automatically but there's no way of reverting back after further edits by choosing "Image Settings" as I've done in ACR. I don't need to look through a long list of history states to locate the point I hit Command S because LR doesn't record it into history states. Taking a snapshot is the only solution but then I have to click out of its dialog box. Overall it's a big slow down especially on a 27" screen moving the cursor to the left to click on history state/snapshot and back to the right for further tweaks and then back to the left. In ACR everything is in one drop down menu located on the left on the same side with rest of the editing panels.</p>