Interesting MPO file format on E-M5 II: is Olympus preparing for stereo photography?

I noticed, while looking through the spec sheet of the Olympus E-M5 II, that it supports the MPO file format:

Link: MPO File - What is it and how do I open it?

It's basically two images side-by-side in the same file. I have no idea if video is supported. But what's interesting is that any camera with sensor shift as well as optical shift could theoretically provide a stereoscopic image pair.

The E-M1 II doesn't have it. I'm not sure about other models.

Sounds like pure BS.

A stereo pair requires that the camera or lens axis is moved by a distance equal to average human eye-spacing - about 8 cm - between images.

For truly convincing 3D, the taking lenses also have to be swivelled inward to the subject focus point; as our eyes do automatically.

There's no way that a tiny amount of sensor or optical stabilisation shift can properly emulate that.

Besides, 3D imaging has been marketed in many, many forms over many decades, and each time it's failed to gain any real market toe-hold. The novelty soon wears thin, and nobody really wants to be bothered with the paraphenalia required to view 'stereo'.

Stereo? Could you repeat that?

"Very droll, Minister." ;-)

A stereo pair requires that the camera or lens axis is moved by a distance equal to average human eye-spacing - about 8 cm - between images.

That's not correct. You do not need 8cm. I still have no idea if the camera in question can actually produce a meaningful stereo image, though. I'd like to find out.

The early NEX cameras (as well as others) produce MPO files in their 3D Sweep Panorama mode. They are designed to be viewed on 3D TVs, but with Stereo Photo Maker software (freeware) you can make viewable stereo pairs or anaglyphs for viewing spectacles. The NEX camera makes the stereo pair by alternatively building a left/right pair as the sweep panorama is made. You can set the panorama aspect ratio to 16:9 and the camera produces an image that is 1920x1080 px, enough for an HD TV.

For some a pair of eyes is enough to view a stereo pair (not me alas), but an inexpensive viewer (The Lite OWL - LSC Official Online Shop) and a smart phone with a good screen makes it quite easy to view these pairs in stereo.

This thread on DP Review discusses how Olympus implemented 3D stills on the E-M5 II - Olympus OM-D EM-5 3D shots: 3D and Stereo Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review.

When we got our 4K UHDTV, my wife insisted on 3-D. (This was a year or two ago). Only Sony was making them at the time. I'm not sure if anyone is making them today. There are some interesting home made 3-D movies on Youtube. I caught one of a raft trip down the Grand Canyon on the Colorado that was really good. You can feel the water splashing on you. There are also a lot of roller coaster rides in 3D that can get you dizzy. I ought to try shooting 3D stills. They look really good on a 75" TV screen. Anyone make cameras that do that? (film or digital?). Movie vs. stills?

I think 3D movies finally caught on this time around.

- Really?

The gimmick takes hold of the public imagination through pure hype for a while, but interest always fades.

The cycle seems to be about a decade, with a 'new' technology involved each time.

I must have seen at least half a dozen of these 3D fads come and go. Ah, where are those polarised or blue and red spectacles now? Replaced by people with a phone strapped to their face; looking just as silly and getting just as much eye-fatigue.

Anyone remember those lenticular 3D prints that cost even more than HP's inkjet prints to produce?

Umm... Didn't Panasonic have a stereo lens in micro 4/3 format, supported by the G2 and GF2 among others?

I think the fact that nobody remembers that lens speaks volumes for the popularity of stereographic gimmicks and gizmos.

Especially when they simply can't work properly through not having a full inter-ocular separation.

Every single 'stereo' image I've previously viewed just looks like a kiddies popup book, with cardboard-cutout-like depth separation. But if you like looking at dioramas....

Edited by rodeo_joe|1