Interesting article on copyright breach

ford_kristo

>According to posts on the "Narinig ko sa UP" (Overheard at UP) Facebook page, Solis had done this at least 5 times since 2011.

>"I'm deeply sorry. I'm in deep remorse. Right now, I already contacted the organizers and I'm about to contact the owner to personally convey to him my deepest and personal apology," Solis said

Yeah, right.

There's a lot of people out there willing to take credit for someone else's work and too little checking done. If there isn't a google for pictures, we need one..

<blockquote>

<p>"If there isn't a google for pictures, we need one.."</p>

</blockquote>

<ul>

<li>Google image search - just drag and drop the photo in question. Google will automagically try to find it, or close matches.</li>

<li>Tineye - predates Google image search, not as comprehensive but occasionally more effective, especially on sites that Google seems to ignore.</li>

<li>Check the metadata - if it hasn't been stripped.</li>

<li>Sometimes just a description of a photo will bring it up on Google.</li>

</ul>

<p>There are many parts of Asia where the concept of copyright is foreign, therefore not appreciated, understood or respected. It's often seen as there for the taking and no harm is done. The rectification of this requires a long process of education so that these (and other) concepts are instilled within the cultural psyche. </p>

<p>I just picked a photo of mine at random and did a google search. Yep, it has been uploaded to a site that describes itself as a "data mining site" as well as a "photograph search engine." It's actually a thumbnail that when one clicks on it they are taken to the photo on my flickr stream.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There are many parts of Asia where the concept of copyright is foreign, therefore not appreciated, understood or respected. It's often seen as there for the taking and no harm is done. </p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />The same can be said as giant swaths of the population here.</p>

<p>Ford, thanks for the link and thanks to James and Lex for shedding light on the small camera function in Google Images. It works very well.<br>

Why have no-one invented a small application that automatically and regularly search the internet for any image, you upload and alerts you if it is to be found elsewhere - like a spam alert ? A fortune to earn as a start-up !</p>

<p>I've suggested that very idea a few times over the years, dating back to when Tineye first launched. It seems a natural for Google to offer such a service to help with copyright protection. However John H and other folks have <a href="/casual-conversations-forum/00bvRS">pointed out some potential problems</a> with my suggestions for actually implementing something like an automated system that could either: bill a site for using a copyrighted image; give some non-commercial sites permission to continue using the copyrighted image; or issue a DMCA takedown order.</p>

<p>Lex, thanks. I did not see that exchange of August.<br /> However there is a big difference between what was discussed at that time between especially you and John, and my modest suggestion.<br /> <br /> I do not see such an application as linked to Google or any other bowser system and especially I do not suggest to make a direct link between informing about potential copyright violations and launching any legal proceedings. What the owner wishes to do with the information should be up to him or her. I just would like to have the information automatically through such an application and then to decide myself what to do about it.</p>

<p>James and Lex, thanks so much for showing me\us this Google photo search method. I just randomly tried it on one of my band photos and saw it come up several places, including in a YouTube video I knew nothing about, it was used by one of the bands I shot last summer and is now in their YouTube video. I don't mind this person using it, it has my water mark so it is free advertising, just blew me away seeing it was found in a video on the search and I had no clue it was going to turn up. Very cool. Thanks.</p>
Cheers, Mark