Installed Mac High Sierra 10.13.1 today - Photoshop is slow and NIK is crashing

I was asked to revert to some "legacy" versions of some supporting aps to run several of my programs specfically my old CS5 suite. They now run without problems except when I shut down, Photoshop 5.1 will generate a "crash" notice instead of simply quitting.

I was just reading the TechCrunch app on my iPAD (also posted on TechCrunch.com) , and a headline posted one hour ago (about 2:15 PM MST) reads

"Huge Security flaw lets anyone log into High Sierra Mac"

"..On Macs running the latest version of High Sierra - 10.13.1 - it appears that anyone can log in just by putting "root" in the user name field. ......Apple will probably fix it probably within hours but holy moly. Do not leave your Mac unattended until this is resolved". ......

So, apparently, High Sierra is a work in progress in more than one way.

Edited by Glenn McCreery

It's a NIK bug guys. Lots of 3rd party plug-in's run fine and don't crash the Mac. The issue with Root login is fixed and has nothing to do with any of this. Someone needs to contact NIK with a crash log.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Regarding the security flaw, and quoting from the Washington Post:

"Apple said in the statement. “When our security engineers became aware of the issue Tuesday afternoon, we immediately began working on an update that closes the security hole. This morning, as of 8 a.m., the update is available for download, and starting later today it will be automatically installed on all systems running the latest version (10.13.1) of macOS High Sierra.”

It would be nice if the Photoshop, Lightroom, and NIK problems get fixed as quickly.

Edited by Glenn McCreery

It is a computer, you can't expect it to work right all the time.

New software - you are the test monkey. Why would the makers waste their time making sure all worked right when they know you can do it for them. They lose nothing if you lose everything - then they can sell you more software.

From what I had read in advance of High Sierra's general release, that a number of Photoshop Plug-ins and specifically the Nik Collection as abandoned by Google were not 64-Bit compliant apps and would no longer work under High Sierra which has moved to not only a replacement for Apples legacy HFS File storage scheme, but also a move to all 64-Bit Apps.

Now that DxO has acquired the NiK Collection I am not sure if they have upgraded NiK to 6t4-Bit compliance or not. I posed that question to Nik upon their reacquisition of NiK and got a generic support request reply.

Why have you upgraded to High Sierra you might ask your self first before wondering why legacy apps no longer work.

Im never in any hurry to do a major upgrade that upsets a workflow that's reliant on Apps that have yet or may never be upgraded to work under the new OS offerings. Whats the Hurry?

• Like 1