Input Needed on 135mmF2.0 Manual Focus lens

evan_dong1

Had one for 10 years - sold it.

Not because it was a bad lens, but because it fit a dead zone between the more functional 85/105 and 180 which you should have first. The 135 F2 is also built more sturdy than a hand grenade if you ask me.

Very sharp at all focal ratios, and brutally sharp at F8. Slides shot wide open tend to be kind of startling because of the high sharpness and isolated depth of field. You can easily isolate an eyelash on a full head shot at F2. Contrast tends to be a bit soft wide open but rapidly improves by two stops down.

Tends to color fringe at the outer 3rd of the frame a bit more than the 105mm, but about the same as the 180mm.

Cool lens....if you can find a use for it being 135mm just isn't the most practical focal length.

Hi David and Scott,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did take a look at the Nikonlinks.com website and found alot of valuable information there. Beside the focal length and heavy glass, I did buy into this lens, as I got it for a good price. Is this lens similar to the autofocus version that has the de-focus feature nuilt in to it? The faster speed was what caught my eyes.

I'm personally considering between the 135/2 and 180/2.8, and leaning towards the latter due to the much higher price of the AF 135. Also, the 80-200/2.8 is an excellent 135 but a so-so 180, so that has an effect on the popularity of the 135's. On the other hand, a 135/2 is much more useful than 180/2.8 for indoor concerts, for example, which is why I would like to have one.

I've got the 135mm f2 ai and it's a dog. At f2-2.8 and about 20-30 feet (this is how I use the lens) the results are noticeably softer than most other Nikkors. It may do well stopped down, but I don't use it much at apertures smaller than about f2.8.

I can tell you that the 135mm f2.8 is supremely sharp, and widely available at low prices.

I have the Nikon 135mm F2 AI. I like it, and I usually shoot wide open. My lens isn't soft at F2. I like the focal length, because I don't have to be as close to my subject when doing portraits or candids. My style of photography lends itself well to the 135mm length. Longer lens portraits seem to be out-of-style at the moment. I see more faces with macro and torso-up with wide angle (35mm or 28mm) in magazines. I just don't like to be that close to my subject.