Inkjet cartridge storage

Okay. So I've gone and spent some money on a decent printer

(Epson2200) and bought some spare replacement cartridges for it. My

question is how should the cartridges be stored? I was told several

years back that they should be stored in the refrigerator, but is

that true for the pigmented inks, too. Or was it complete hogwash?

Also, is it true that the cartridges that come packaged with a new

printer (my new one, in particular) are not as full as the ones you

buy off the shelf?

Thanks in advance.

DG

<em>Also, is it true that the cartridges that come packaged with a new printer (my new

one, in particular) are not as full as the ones you buy off the shelf?</em><p>

Not true. However, the first set of cartridges are often used to prime the head and lines

and this often leads to reduced number of prints. When I got my Epson 4000, I was

shocked to discover that it gobbled up 40% of all 8 ink cartridges (combined replacement

cost approx: $500!) to prime the head and lines.

<p>

<em>I was told several years back that they should be stored in the refrigerator...</em>

<p> Never heard of such a thing. Keep them in your closet and it

will be fine. Remember to gently shake the cartridge before use in case some of the

pigments have settled.

I recently bought an Epson PictureMate 4x7" proof printer and the instructions said to gently shake the ink cartridges before loading.

I also use an Epson 1280 printer and I buy ink cartridges from a local (San Jose CA) internet company that obtains "compatible" cartridges made in Taiwan to 100%+ specifications to Epson. Epson ink is produced in China.

I have used these for more than a year and they are of equal quality based on my experience. The Epson ink cartridges are about $30.00 each. Those I buy are $5.50 each. They do not clog or malfunction and I have seen no fading, etc.

Check it out at www.amondotech.com

I store them at room temperature (about 68*F or 20*C).

"Also, is it true that the cartridges that come packaged with a new printer (my new one, in particular) are not as full as the ones you buy off the shelf?"

Yes, sometimes it is true depending on the manufacturer. I recently purchased a new fax machine and the cartridge that came with the unit was not a full size cartridge and consequently lasted only about a week.