Infrared Shooting With 40D

j. caputo

There are also numerous Photoshop techniques one can use that, when done properly, look pretty much identical. I had my old 10D converted by Lifepixel but I'd never consider converting a new, 40D myself. Here are a few links - some are PS Actions - to convert a normal, color image into what appears to be an IR photograph:

http://www.nickgallery.com/web_pages/technical%2020.htm

http://www.leppphoto.com/learn/articles/infrared.htm

http://www.photographica.org/story/2006/2/7/112834/7418

Some older Sony digital cameras (F-707, F-717 and probably others) that have "Nightshot" mode work well - although Sony "crippled" them a bit by making the feature only available in "Auto" mode - so you can't manually adjust the aperture/shutter speed. There are other brands too, I'm sure. You may be able to find some of these on Ebay. I've also seen old, Canon 10Ds & 20Ds that have been converted for sale on Ebay upon occasion. If you go that route, I'd recommend looking for cameras that have been converted by Lifepixel because they do a great job. Good luck!

Bryan, your issue with the image coming out black is that you are not exposing properly. With a 30D and a IR filter you will be needing very long exposure times b/c of the hot-mirror the canons have on them being very agressive IR light blockers. Depending on the available light you can probably start with an 8 sec exposure and work your way up from there checking your histogram exposing to the right a bit. Trevor~

This happened even after using manual shutter of 8-10 seconds. I believe the 30D's internal IR filter does not read the wavelengths within a certain range and as such renders no image. My 87 Wratten filter absorbs all energy below 730 mu, which is within the cutoff point of the 30D's IR sensor filter. One PN posted link shows a Hoya R72 IR filter being used, which was lower than this range, and rendered somewhat suitable images exposed for 8-30 seconds. Not very sharp IMO

See shot taken with a Nikon D70 + 87 IR filter<div>00Of4W-42083284.jpg.1deb25acddbee708e89cce532a78db2d.jpg</div>

I can't speak for the Wratten 87 IR filter but from all my reading and research I don't remember that filter being an issue with the digital canons for IR work except for long exposures. I recall seeing some exposure times as long as 20-30 seconds, not sure if it was with that filter but you could give it a try. I have used the Cokin 89B IR filter with decent results but was not happy with the long exposure times. As for the sharpness of the IR images you referenced with the Hoya IR filter there are multiple factors that can effect the sharpness in digital IR photos. The first would be the long exposure times resulting in motion blur of trees and plant life from any wind. The second would be from the lens not being focused properly, the difference in the IR light spectrum as compared to normal light spectrum requires a different focus, some lenses have an IR marker on them to allow you to adjust for this difference. The third would be any other reason a picture would be soft such as shooting wide open, cheap lens and so on. You probably know this but I figured I would mention it for those who might not. Trevor~

Some lenses (Canon and Nikon) will 'hot spot' when taking infrared, apparently because of reflections that don't occur with visible light. That isn't your problem though, but one of the links I gave has a list of the older lenses and which will or won't work.

However, I know the 20D does infrared--you just have to give it enough time, so I'm betting the 30D will work if you get the exposure right. The shot I posted above was in early spring, the leaves are blowing in the wind, but if you look closely you'll see the white vegetation--of course, it comes out in the camera as red because of the filter, so you have to post process to set white to the brightest red.<div>00OgGK-42109284.jpg.5e50989ccdd1382055086897fdc6aa2a.jpg</div>