infrared photography with Canon digital

gc_manfrin

The digital rebel has a IR blocking filter in front of the imaging chip which is quite effective. I have not done any tests with the Hoya, but I have plans to test with the 87 Wratten... just haven't done that yet.

There is a thread re: this subject here: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DTR1

Looks like you might have some success with long exposures in bright sunlight.

There is also a company that will [permanently] convert your Rebel to IR only: http://www.irdigital.net/

Once I have my new EOS 5D, I plan to send the Rebel in for conversion.

For film enthusiasts, MACO makes an awesome IR film... however, be warned, exposures will be significantly longer than Kodak high speed infrared. I expose the Kodak at ISO 320, but the MACO needs about ISO 25, and bracket heavily.

Enjoy!

Yes with a Hoya R72.

I have a 20D and I suspect the digital rebel is similar. You need long exposures and the useful response is in the green and blue channels but you get Wood's effect (light tree leaves). Some, typically wide-angle, lenses lead to a hot spot.<P>

<A HREF="http://www.pbase.com/littleflurry/canon_dig_rebel_infrared">Examples of 20D and 300D IR</A>

Here's a response I got from the company one of you mentioned. Response follows:

Al, i can get you a used D 60 & convert it. any thing else you will have to get yourself.

I convert digital SLRs (Nikon D100, D70,D50, Canon D30, D60, 20D, Digital Rebel, Digital Rebel XT, 1D, 1Ds and 1Ds mark II only) into black and white IR only cameras.

Once converted the camera will be a dedicated B&W IR camera. It won't shoot conventional images anymore. Cost to retrofit the camera is quite high, the camera becomes a dedicated B&W IR camera. The camera records reflected IR radiation; it is not a thermal camera. I set a custom white balance so images are displayed in black and white on the LCD.

Once converted the camera will capture B&W IR images only. The images look similar to images shot with Kodak HSIR film with a #87 filter but without the grain. The camera must be shot at f8 or smaller to account for the back focus change resulting from the removal of the low pass and anti-alaising filters.

This is not a problem; approximate daylight exposure is 1/125 @ f8 ISO 200.

There is no need to place an IR filter on the lens, the viewfinder is clear allowing the camera to be hand held.

I warrant the conversion (not your used camera) for a period of one year. The filter I use is delicate and cannot be touched. Dust can be removed with a bulb blower only. Cost is $350.00for the D30, D60, D70 and D100 ($500.00 for the Digital Rebel (300D), Rebel XT (350D), 20D, 1D, 1Ds and1Ds mark II) plus $35.00 return economy day Fedex and insurance (in the continental US). If you provide a fedex account I don't have a handling fee. Turnaround time is 2 to 6 weeks.

Current turnaround is 4 weeks.

I am now offering (and strongly recommending) an optional hardened filter for an additional $100.00. This filter can be cleaned using sensor swabs or other similiar methods.

If you want this optional filter please indicate so in the letter you enclose with your camera. This option is not available for the 1D and D100.

I accept business checks, cashiers checks and money orders made payable to D. Sparer. I also accept credit cards via my paypal account. If you haven't used paypal go to www.paypal.com and set up a free account. My paypal account is irguy@irdigital.net.

You can ship your camera to:

David Sparer

33 Stymus Ave

Bethpage, NY 11714

917-763-5339

Please be sure to include your contact info with your camera

Best regards,

David

-

Yes. The filters are not cheap but it works fine. You have a huge advantage over the rest of us poor souls since you have individual channels on your histogram. Expose until you get a nice centered histogram in the blue or green channels. The AF sensors are very IR sensitive since my AF is very snappy even though the viewfinder is completely black. Stop down to account for the focal shift (though the R72 lets through substantial portion of visible light).

Hey Alistair, Thanks for your tips. So in my case, 5D with filters:

1) I wom't need to manipulate the camera body

2) Simply use, tripod, bulb exposure, wide open, sensitive ISO value, about 3-4min in daylight condition

3) Check histogram on B/G channel

Does this sound like the right ballpark?

I have a 20D which is very similar to the Rebel, I've made no modifications to my camera but bought a Hoya 72R a month or so ago and have be very please with the results.

Exposures are usually in minutes but they are definately infrared.

Most of my lenses take 77mm filters and you'll find many places quoting almost $300 for a 77mm Hoya 72R. There are a few companies on eBay that supply the same Hoya filter brand new from Hong Kong for around $140, I would highly recommend these unless you have money to burn.

These are my first attempts at infrared a few weeks ago...

http://john-davies.blogspot.com/2005/11/infrared-photography-attempt-1.html

-John-<div>00EY4j-27026584.thumb.jpg.6d42ca3cfa7a1e06a9bd3b3b96c28acc.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...