Infrared camera or software ?

sami_palta1

<p>Don't know if it is correct section to ask this question but couldn't find out where to post this question...</p>

<p>Used to take IR pictures with color and B/W IR film + filter...<br>

Film days past now. <br>

Considering a IR converted camera... 750 or 820 NM different sort of IR converted cameras. I think one gives B/W and the other a bit blueish pictures.<br>

Found out out also possible to convert the taken color pictures to IR picture with software. But I have a problem, I can use some LR but not PS and I am not a software guy...<br>

Any recommendations please ?</p>

<p>All the best</p>

<p>My understanding: You can wildly alter colors in software. - But if you are after a specific IR trait, you can only get it from an IR camera.<br>

AFAIK there are no color to B&W <em>camera</em> conversions happening anywhere. The Bayer- & X-Trans patterns allowing color results are too close to the sensors to get removed or replaced after production. - Whoever posts B&W from a converted camera desaturated the image for artistic reasons. <br>

I'll buy some visible light blocking filters for my M9 some day. - Shooting IR with a converted camera would give the benefit of an in that range working AF, while filters in front of normal cameras demand manual focus compensation.</p>

<p>An IR converted camera means its sensor's IR-cut filter is removed which will make it a broadband sensor - visible light + IR. </p>

<p>An IR-pass filter of any desired wavelength can then be (optionally) added, usually externally. </p>

<p>An unmodified camera will only take color pictures which you can <em>synthesize</em> IR through B/W conversion, but it won't be real IR. </p>

<p>I have a Sony DSC-F828 camera which has a Nightshot (IR) mode, but it's crippled deliberately so you won't be able to "see through clothing" which was all the rage when the feature was first introduced in the late 90s. However, I'm able to trick the camera by lifting its IR-block filter's solenoid with an external neodymium magnet and make it work in<em> all</em> modes; I can then screw on an external IR pass filter and use it as an IR-only camera.</p>

<p>Cycling the power of the camera will bring it back to its normal factory operation. <br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I have a IR filter for B/W IR film. If I put it in front of my digital SLR can I have a IR picture ?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, but an unmodified camera's IR sensitivity will be quite low since it contains an IR-cut filter on its sensor so it'll only work under long exposure. </p>

<p>It might be adequate if you're only interested in landscape photography where long exposure isn't usually a problem, but if it's for astrophotography, then you'll need the sensitivity of a modified camera even if long exposure is tolerable (since objects in the sky will be moving relative to your position on earth). </p>

<p>Try it; you might conclude it's adequate. </p>

<p>The problem with just adding the IR filter to a camera is that some cameras have a strong filter already ... my Panasonic FZ cameras are useless compared to my original Nikon 5700 which I retain for IR ... being a purist I do not accept blue or other images as IR ... only B&W :-)<br>

Whatever camera you have check it with your TV's IR remote to see if it gets a strong signal. IR filters are expensive so check before you buy :-)</p><div>00e9Si-565519184.jpg.4a6a06635575da51e76e223ff74c31e6.jpg</div>

<p>There are Chinese made IR filters available for very reasonable prices.<br>

Even more reasonable if shipping is included. </p>

<p>The more expensive ones might be better, but then again, I don't do that much IR photography.</p>

<p>There is a 52mm one for $7.68 including shipping.</p>

-- glen

<p>You can transform the file any way you want. </p>

<p>I have used a 720nm filter on a D300, and there is enough to take pictures. I suspect, though, that with the overlap of the 720nm filter, and the built in filter, most of the image is very close to 720nm. </p>

<p>Some cameras have worse IR cut filters, and so will be better for IR imaging.</p>

<p>You still need the IR filter with the usual converted camera. </p>

-- glen