hearing your thoughts on this.

Also, ....those who have shot Kodak HEI...what speed do you rate

the film?

What is the prefered chemistry for processing? Processing

times and temps?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and

knowledge.

Scott

Where are you getting Kodak IR film in 4x5 sheets??

I want some!

Ok, I see that you "assume" many companies produce 4x5 IR film. Unfortunately that assumption is a little optimistic. The only one I've ever seen is Maco's IR film. It's not as IR-ish as Kodaks... if I could shoot 4x5 HIE I definetly would.

I believe that Kodak HIE in 4x5" has been discontinued for years, but others who know better feel free to correct me.

Maco 820 is indeed made in 4x5", although I've only shot it in smaller formats. The #29 will give some IR effect and some of the nearly black filters will give a more dramatic effect (see the archives in the B&W film forum for tips.)

The other thing you need to watch out for is your bellows, are they IR-proof ? Wisner's regular bellows are not IR-light tight, they make a specific bellows which is.

Shooting IR in LF is tough, if you have a MF camera you can use Ilford SFX which, with it's special filter, can look pretty cool ...

I made an attempt to shoot the Kodak IR in 4x5 and failed miserably. Kept getting light leaks from the film holders, processing tank, bellows, area around the film holder and lensboard.

Frankly, I shot an entire box, and never got a single image that didn't have some fog of some kind. You're better off shooting with a 6x9 back with 120 IR film. I prefer Konica's IR to Kodaks anyway. Easier and more foolproof to load, shoot and process. You'll be successful with the first roll.

b.

The macophot IR is made in 2 different styles, 1 as Aura, which is more dramatic, and the other I think is just IR 820, which isn't suposed to blow out as much and I THINK holds more detail and is what I am starting to use. The AUORA is supposed to be more obvious IR. I have a little expirience with both and made one good print from the NON auora. I can't say much because I only have a #25 filter and the sun never seems to shine when I go out with it. but am ordering a dark filter soon and will probly stick with Non Auora. Last time I ordered the film it was confusing to distinguish the two, they seemed to have changed the look since I last bought it and b+h or calumet couldn't give a good discription(hopfully this has changed).

Also I ruined almost a whole box when I ripped the film package so much it didn't cover the film when I put the film back in after exposure(stupid IR amature mistake). The result was the part of the film that wasn't covered by the package all while inside the closed and taped box was fogged. This may have also been caused at the lab which was the only time I took b+w film to the lab, BUT i HAD TO WARN YA.

And yes Macophot is the only ones who make 4x5 infrared film(if someone knows another let us know!). It is expensive but I really like the nonauora. It can be a normal film when no IR filter is used.

<p>As the others have said, Kodak HIE is no longer available in sheet form. Kodak said that sales were insufficient. I wonder if they had trouble making it -- the last batch I used had clear spots, and others reported the same problem.</p>

<p>The Maco 820c film works well too. The spectral sensitivity doesn't go as far into the IR as that of HIE (but further than Konica), so to get the same Wood effect (white vegation), you need to use a darker red or even opaque filter compared to HIE. Your plan to use the B+W #91 instead of the lighter filter is good. I use the even darker B+W #92.</p>

<p>One noticable difference of the Maco film is that the emulsion is quite soft when wet -- extra care in handling is needed. Other than that, I have had good results without any special precautions. I find it an easy film to use, except, like all IR films, exposure is somewhat guesswork. One method is to take your photos in similar conditions (e.g., full sunlight) and learn what exposures work well.</p>

<p>One camera that I used to use had an opaque regular bellows but an IR transparent bag bellows. Obviously testing your bellows is a good idea. Perhaps draw out the dark slide 1/3 of the way and take a photo, then take it another 1/3 of the way out and move the camera about in the sun for a couple of minutes. Comparing the three sections of the film will tell you if your bellows is OK.</p>

<p>The manufacturer has a pdf file on the film, available from <a href="http://www.mahn.net/Frameset.htm">http://www.mahn.net/Frameset.htm</a>.

The emulsion and spectral sensitivity is the same in the two versions of the Maco film. The "Aura" version omits the anti-halation backing that prevents light from reflecting off of the back of the film. Kodak HIE also lacks this backing -- this lack gives part of the effect that many photographers have come to associate with IR films, a sort of glow around highlights. This effect isn't a consequence of the extended spectral sensitivity.</p>

One thing I might add is that Maco should be easier to handle than HIE based on what I've heard (haven't used HIE); eg. Maco doesn't require loading in absolute darkness for roll films.

Frankly, I recommend shooting a test roll, preferably 35 mm, to get exposure, filter effects, focus, processing and other stuff right before you take out the large format gear. This not only saves money, it's a lot quicker too than starting directly with sheets.

Like other users, I bought a bulk of 5x4" HSIR when Kodak discontinued production. I have recently exhausted my stock and have been intouch with Kodak to see if they would manufacture a short batch. Initially it lookeds as if a run of 10,000 sheets would be possible - sadly that was a local response and the truth is that they would be reluctant to manufacture even 50,000 sheets. A great shame as it can be seen by the responses to this question that there would be sufficient take up for a batch.

Anyone interested in forming a pressure group please contact me at colin@solidair.org.uk

Kodak have no current plans to discontinue 70mm Aerographic infrared (same emulsion as 35mm) and I am currently converting 6x7 70mm backs to 7x12cm as an alternative way of shooting this film.