Info on Turner-Reich lens

john_smith83

The lens is a Gundlach-Manhaten Optical Co. Turner Reich,7 1/2 12

18 .I found some info on cameraeccentric for Gundlach Turner Reich in

these focal lengths but no listing for this lense in a Compur shutter

like the one I have.Mine seems to be original with the f-stops listed

for all three focal lengths.Any info on this lens would be

appreciated.

It sounds like you have a Turner-Reich Series II Convertible Anastigmat f6.8 lens that has had its cells installed on a newer shutter. According to a 1920's catalog NO. 22, this lens was made for a 5x7 view camera and thus should have lots of coverage on a 4x5. These lens were sold with an Optimo Shutter for $70.50, an Acme Shutter for $73.50, or a Compound Shutter for $74.50 in my Korona Catalog. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable as to whether your Compur and a Compound Shutter would be a related or just a later shutter design for this lens. The Gundlach Turner-Reich lens were a proprietory lens which were coupled with Korona Cameras since before 1900. I have a similar convertible Turner-Reich lens, but it is the 4x5 model. I have not used it very much, but the few pictures taken appear to have a nice contrast. The same is true for a 8x10 Radar f4.5 lens I have from the same maker. For uncoated lens, they are very nice and quite affordable. Take some pictures an confirm the cells were properly installed on the compur shutter. BTW I have a dagor 3 1/4" (105mm)lens which was installed in a betax no. 2 shutter, I have never been able to confirm dagors were made at the factory in a betax shutter, but mine it works great...just as if it was made at the factory!