info on mamiya 645j

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by betty_stamatakos, Nov 4, 1997.

1. I've just purchased a mamyia 645j and being new mf and not having a manual i need all the help i can get ie: where is the asa knob,how do i attach a filter on the 80mm lens with no threads ,any other tips would be appreciated

2. Welcome to MF!

<p>

There isn't an integral meter, so there's no ASA dial on the body - it's on the prism finder (if you've got one and it's a metered prism).

<p>

There should be a filter thread on the 80mm lens. I don't know the size, but on my 70mm/2.8 it's 58mm.

<p>

Take some time to study the loading path for the roll film. There's a diagram on the insert as a guide (I missed that first time and got a blank film!)

<p>

Watch out for depth of field - 80mm on 645 has a field of view similar to around 55mm on 35mm but the same depth of field as 80mm on anything. This applies to all focal lengths and is a MF drawback with wideangles.

<p>

Also be aware that the shutter release lock just locks the button - a cable release will still fire the shutter (BTDTGTTS!).

<p>

Regards
    Andy Gulliver

3. The Mamiya web site (www.mamiya.com) has lots of useful information, including how to order manuals from Mamiya for their cameras.