Info on Fuji G690

glenn_twiggs

I am considering the purchase of a Fuji G690 (a 6x9 rangefinder with interchangeable lenses), but wanted to find out the quality of this camera. In particular:

<p>

* Lenses Available

* Lens Quality

* Age of camera (when Fuji stopped making them)

* Size/weight

* Typical cost of a good used one.

<p>

I know there are a lot of questions, but answers to any of the above would be most appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I'm also considering a G690, both for the 1:1.5 format and as a supplement to

my Koni-Omega (6x7 only). If you have access to the issues, <u>Popular Photography</u>

published a "First Look" in February 1970 and a review in April 1971.

<p>If you don't, I'm planning on putting up some information myself on a web

page (probably sometime this weekend ... need to get the articles and find a bit

of time) ... stay tuned.

<p>From what I can recall, there were a 60, 100, 150, and 180 available.

• 2 months later...

I can't really comment on any of the price issues or on the last year made, but I can say this: Wouldn't trade it for the world!

<p>

I purchased a 690BL with 100/3.5 in 1991 for $425 in Ex condition. There were no marks on the lens and the metal body had some dings and worn spots. My guess is that the body was built in 1973-5, because the manual that came with it was copyright 1972.

<p>

The best thing about this camera is the lens quality. They are superb! I have had Hassy and Mamiya RB owners look at my transparencies and say: I can't believe how sharp they are! I used to depend on this sharpness to satisfy commerical customers, who often change their minds about cropping after the fact. You just have to remember to take a step back; you won't lose the extra clarity by taking in a few more things on the periphery.

<p>

Other things of import: The handling. Because it is a RF design, you won't have to adjust your shooting style for the camera when switching

from 35mm to 6x9. It is heavy though (like 3.5 pounds) and lacks a comfortable grip for the right hand. I hook a finger around the large neckstrap post, which helps. This camera is not for the weak or small handed.

<p>

Lens assortment: As someone else has said, you are limited to 4 lenses: 65/5.6, 100/3.5, 150/5.6, and 180/5.6. True enough, they are a limited lot and the minimum focus distance will practically prevent you from using anything closer than 1.5 meters for the 100/3.5. I also own a mint condition 180/5.6 (I paid $550 for this one last year)which has a 2.5 meter mfd. I use it strictly outdoors to pull in far away landscapes and do street photography. Not much else. Its damn sharp though, edge to edge like the 100/3.5.

<p>

Bugs: Its only flaw in the design is that you can overadvance and lose unexposed frames if you don't fully advance the film to the end of the throw on the first wind. This is because the leaf shutter reset is coupled to the body by a simple lever and can needs to be fully thrown before it will fire. There is a useful workaround, if you misfire. First, leave the film advance alone. Next is to close the cloth shutter, remove the lens, fire the leaf shutter by hand, and throw

the metal prong clockwise to cock the shutter. There is a handy switch on the back that was designed for sheetfilm use that allows you to trip the shutter at will (there is a lock on the button otherwise). I usually keep this setting on sheet film.

<p>

Another bug is the felt that is used for light absorption. It tends to pick up little stray hairs and things that will be apparent mostly as blurred strands on the top of the frame. I use a piece of scotch tape to remove them occasionally. Todays Fujicas use matte black paint and don't have this problem.

<p>

I have made many prints from the negatives and can stare endlessly at them marvelling at the clarity of a tight weave cotton fabric or individual strands of hair of a waist-high portrait.

<p>

Email me if you have any other questions.

ivansinger@sprintmail.com