info from camera

brian_mchattie

Hi people.. this may sound like a silly question and its almost certain there is an easy solution which I just cannot find.

For some reason, when I click the "get info" tab and the information appears on screen, much of the information (e.g. device make, device model, focal length, f number, exposure time etc) does not appear!!

What have I done wrong with my settings? Yes, I press "more info" but all I can see is date last opened, dimensions, colour space.

the get info tab is on the computer if I right click an image

Oh, that. Well, there's nothing you can do to the camera that would keep it from recording that info in the photo file. I would ask myself if I'm actually looking at an original file from the camera or one that had been processed and then exported without EXIF data. If you want to make sure whether the data is in the file, use the excellent ExifTool program.

I'm not in front of my computer with Photoshop on it, but I think it's highly unlikely to be a problem on the camera side - you can edit some of the information that goes into the EXIF data, but I don't believe you can disable chunks of it. I suspect the computer side of things has changed - maybe there's a "more information" option? Certainly the command-line stuff I tend to use has extra arguments to say "really give me all the information", since there's quite a lot in there.

I suspect it's unlikely that Adobe stopped making it possible to access the full data, but they may have changed the interface a bit.

Um, aside, you should be able to get the information by looking at the image in the Preview window (with Command-i). There appears to be an EXIF tab which you should be able to look at and get the necessary information. But that's not on the Adobe side of things.

I'll try to have a look and report back if nobody else gets there first.

Sometimes solutions are staring at you right in the face and you just can't see it but another pair of eyes spots it immediately.

Thanks again.

so very true, sometimes just explaining the problem to someone else and the answer pops up

so very true, sometimes just explaining the problem to someone else and the answer pops up

That's a well-known software engineering thing. If you have a problem with a piece of code, get someone to walk through it with you. They don't have to spot the problem (or do more than look like they're listening while actually staring into space) - a large proportion of the time, going through the situation from scratch will expose the issue.

On the other hand, to quote the hacker test...

Ever spend ten minutes trying to find a single-character error?

... More than an hour?

... More than a day?

... More than a week?

... Did the first person you show it to find it immediately?