Info for Cloud Lovers - & Nice photos too

Here's a link to the Art Institute of Chicago's collection of some of Stieglitz's cloud photos, from his Equivalents project.

LINK

This is a worthwhile quote from the introduction to the series, in the words of Stieglitz himself.

“Through clouds [i wanted] to put down my philosophy of life—to show that my photographs were not due to subject matter—not to special trees, or faces, or interiors, or to special privileges . . ."

I think, even when I make or look at photos of important subjects, keeping this idea in mind is invaluable, because there's so much more than a subject to every subject and so much more than mere subjects to photograph.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I too love cloud photographs, along with cloud shadows in landscape photographs, especially in black and white.

I think that my favorite landscape photographs that incorporate clouds are by Ansel Adams. He always paid close attention to the relative importance of clouds in his compositions and insured that both the foreground and sky were properly rendered to suit his vision.

• Like 2

Whatever happened to simply enjoying a photograph......

It seems inappropriate when viewing the horrors of Nazi concentration camps, photos like Napalm Girl, the battered women in some of Nan Goldin’s Work, and the junkies in Larry Clark’s Tulsa series. Even some cloud photos can lead us elsewhere than enjoyment. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying enjoyable photos. And photography is sometimes different from that.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I don't see the subject of the thread as 'simply enjoying cloud photos'. Sandy started the thread as 'info for cloud lovers' and stated his opinion that they are nice. That some people will enjoy those photos is as allowable as someone being critical and voicing his/her preference for something else. Otherwise it turns into a lame appreciation thread of thank you and superlatives. Well, thanks Sandy for sharing these photos and I enjoy your other posts from time to time, but thanks to Fred and Phil also for bringing up and contrasting with Stieglitz's cloud photos, which portray clouds from a different perspective altogether. For me, it is useful to see and study subjects from multiple perspectives and learn how photographers portray the same subject in different ways.

Clouds was the subject of the thread...I made that as clear as the original post....But if you and Fred want to talk Nazi depravity, napalmed girls, battered women, and junkies as commentary in a thread about cloud photography, I’ll simply move beyond another trashed thread.

At least it provides a bit of useful insight into how people’s minds work.....

Whatever happened to simply enjoying a photograph......

Moving on - This is your comment Fred was responding to, which is about photography in general, not specifically related to cloud photography. So he gave a few examples of cases where photography is not simply about enjoying. There is nothing wrong with viewing photography just for enjoyment, but some people may view it differently.

And lastly, if you think this is a thread about cloud photography, why does it have to be only about enjoyment? We should be able to discuss different emotions that photos of clouds evoke, not just pleasure and tranquility.