Infinity locks on lenses

<p>For the Elmar 50/3.5, it's just to give you a grip.<br>

On the other lenses, it's a handle to prevent you from putting torque on the bars in the focusing helical that keep the lens proper from rotating. Done repeatedly, that can make the helical loose.</p>

<p>The early Leica lenses focused by rotating the lens. Even the Leica A had an infinity lock. I believe that it was to assure the photographer that the lens had not been left or accidentally moved to a closer focusing distance, which was an easy mistake to make.<br>

Personally, I like them and feel more comfortable using a lens with the infinity lock, even on parallel-focusing lens mounts.</p>

<p>Also on Canon & Schneider-Kreusnach LS-TM lenses. I guess for landscapes, the lenses are pretty much always within focus as soon as the lens cap's off, even at wide apertures. They are only ever on 28/35/50 lenses, where this is the case, and not always used; eg on the Summaron 35 f3.5 with M3 goggles. <br>

I don't mind them, as long as they remain easy to unlatch. They are more of a problem when focusing gets stiff, and that's something that should be attended to anyway.</p>

<p>The Canon 135/4.0 doesn't have one, but the focus ring is far enough out that there is a place to grab the barrel closer to the mount. </p>

<p>Yes, it is very inconvenient to have to focus the lens all the way out when removing it, and it probably puts strain where it shouldn't be. Not so obvious the other direction.<br>

But the 135/4.0 doesn't have a full ring for the rangefinder coupling. I think for that one, you are supposed to run it all the way out first to reduce wear on the rangefinder mechanism.</p>

-- glen