inexpensive film body for 16-35/2.8?

jmublueduck aim

I feel dumb asking this, but is a Rebel Ti + a 16-35/2.8L a stupid combination? I

happily shoot a D60 most of the time, but I'm itching to occasionally go wider than

the sensor size permits, & refuse to spend $7-8k for a 1Ds. I'd use it for B&W work,

& maybe some infrared.

I had an Elan 7e a while ago, but sold it to offset the D60 cost. I know that body

didn't support infrared film... not sure about other current models. Anyone know? I

don't need anything fancy... just a body w/ fully manual controls that can support a

heavier-than-consumer EF mount zoom. Infrared film compatibility would be nice.

thanks...

You might want to look at a used Elan II/IIe instead. You should be able to pick up a used one on Ebay for less than $200. It has a metal lens mounting ring where the Rebel series uses a plastic mount. While the 16-35 isn't exactly a heavy lens, I wouldn't want to risk the chance of the plastic mount breaking.

<p>It's said that the Elan II can't be used for IR photography because of the IR frame counter, but that's not exactly true. There will be some light leak along the outer edge of the frame, but very little, if any, on the inner edge of the frame.

I tried one of those 16-35mm L lenses on my Rebel G! - Well, you give the store your credit card, and, you are free to shoot a roll in an hour (still got good credit I guess).

The lens is just too big and heavy to be a 'street lens' on that camera, completely out of balance on a rebel body for extended periods of time. 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM - that is the limit of the rebel bodies I think. Nothing bigger, or fancier if balance is an issue (unless you are using a battery pack or smth).

For good balance with that beefy lens and complete infrared compatibility, look for a used EOS 1 or 1N. The EOS 10S and 600 series also are infrared ready albeit much lighter than the 1 series. The EOS 10S has decent AF (has a cross sensor) but the 600 series are better focused manually.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Scott,

The EOS 630 (600 in Europe) is a great back-up body and an excellent choice for IR work. They are also incredibly cheap now. They are solid, good specification and only really suffer in comparison with more modern designs in terms of AF speed (and only single AF point but thats all I use anyway). I bought one for IR work and ended up buying 2 more (another 630 and an RT) because I liked them so much - and if one goes wrong (none have yet despite some hard use) just drop it in the trash they are so cheap. In fact for my recent 3 week vacation to Peru I took the 2 x 630's since they are smaller than my EOS 3 and wouldn't be a disaster if lost/damaged/stolen.

As much as i despise the AF on the 600 series i too say it is probably ideal for what you want it for.They are a very nice to use camera with some very usefull features.The only real problems they have are sticky shutter syndrome.If you see any tarlike substance on the shutter blades,clean it off (with alcohol) before it gets bad enough to start missing shots.

The 630 supports a wired remote release, but only with an optional accessory grip. The EOS 10S uses the RC-1 Wireless Remote, the same remote used with the Elan series. A very cool little device that performs most of the functions of a cable release but without wires.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<i>"Melissa, The Ti has a metal mount. It works great, even with heavy lenses." </i>

<p>Thanks for correcting me, Joe. I've heard good things about the Rebel Ti. Now, what with the metal lens mount, it sounds like it's a good alternative for people who don't want to shell out the money for an EOS 3 or similar. I still have my trusty Elan IIe--an oldie, but a goodie.