Inexpensive 2 1/4" negative scanner?

I purchased a Canon FS 2720 scanner about a year ago. I use it mostly

to revive some old negatives that I have filed away in the past 30

years. It does a fair to good job for my needs. I must have about 100

2 1/4 rolls of B&W negatives from my Rolleiflex TLR...many dating

back to the early 70's. Is there a comparible 2 1/4 negative scanner

on the market in the same quality and price renge? (approx $400.)

Look at some of the Flat bed scanners they are slower then your Canon but will handle the 2 1/4. I have a Canon D2400UF 2400X1200 resolution it will do up to three frames at a time if your PC can handle a very large file all at once mine will only process one at a time but they are quite good. The scanner should be getting quite cheap I paid around $400.00 but that was almost 18 months ago.

Mark W.

<body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple style='tab-interval:.5in'>

<p class=MsoNormal>In addition to the Epson 3200, you might look at the Epson 3170.<span

style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>You can find a 3170 for $165ish and the 3200

is now $250ish after $100 rebate.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>A

review of the 3170 was posted recently so it might be worth reading.<span

style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>I posted the link in this forum a few days

ago.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Look for �3170� in the message

headings in this forum for maybe 2-3 days ago and you will find the link.</p>

<p class=MsoNormal>Doug</p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:10.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt'>Doug�s

�MF Film Holder� for scanning "strips" of medium format film:<a

href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mfholderintro.html">http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mfholderintro.html</a>

<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>

</body>

</html>

Here we have alot of scanners ; about eight. We have the Canon FS 2710 and FS4000US ; 35mm film scanners 2720/4000 dpi/ppi. In Epson flatbeds; a 1200U, a 1250, and a photo 2450 unit. These are 1200 and 2400 dpi/ppi. A friend has a 3200 Epson; which we tested as not much better than our 2400 dpi/ppi unit. Epson has a 4800 dpi/ppi flatbed in Japan; with a better focused CCD head; according to their marketing hype. We will probably get one of these; in 2004; if/when they get to the USA. <BR><BR>I like the Epson flatbeds; but they yield a less practical resolution than a true film scanner. I scanned the same 35mm test negative; with all the scanners above; plus my friends Epson 3200 unit. The Epson 2450 and 3200 scans both limit the detail in a scan to about less than 30 lines pairs/mm; and thus dont show all the detail in a good sharp negative. But; they do pull alot of the info from the negative; and are a good value for alot of jobs. One can adjust ones scans with these units; and get great scans with some practice. The newer Epsons use USB 2.0; which helps with long scans. We use the Epson 2450 unit to scan 4x5 negatives; color and B&W. A drum scan requires mailing off the item. Many times the Epson scans are "good enough"; to get the job done; instead of the delay/expense of a drum scan.